Latex neck seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SwimJim

Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought a new dry suit that has latex seals. As I have an 18 inch neck the neck seal is tight. The dive shop told me to lube it with a little silicone and stretch it over a scuba tank for a few days. The owners manual says to do that for neoprene but not latex seals. So, what works??? Thanks

Jim

what is the brand of your drysuit?

Fo my latex neckseal, (DUI Drysuit), you had to cut along one of the lines until you were properly fit. It's perfect now¸ easy to put on, not too tight and most important: IT doesn't leak.

check your manual but a good lds is suppose to do it for you if you need it.

Stretching latex seals does not work. They don't know what they're talking about.

You need to trim it.

Cut it very very carefully. My preferred method is stretching it over a tank or large coffee can and using an X-acto knife, but I have also successfully done this with scissors. The most important things you need to keep in mind are:

1) Do not leave any 'nicks' on the neck seal, because they WILL run and you will have a rip. Cut smoothly.
2) Cut only a little bit at a time. The neck seal should have little ridges on it.. cut off one ridge, then try it on. You can always cut off another, but you can never put one back on.

Thanks for the input. I read somewhere that latex has no memory so stretching it doesn't make sense to me. Trimming the seal also jibes with the manual. So trimming it, it is. Now if these winds would abate and it would get above freezing I could take it out for a test run. Thanks again

Jim

SwimJim:
Thanks for the input. I read somewhere that latex has no memory so stretching it doesn't make sense to me. Trimming the seal also jibes with the manual. So trimming it, it is. Now if these winds would abate and it would get above freezing I could take it out for a test run. Thanks again

Jim

Trim very carefully and with a razor sharp instrument. Ive seen new seals completely blow out during a trim. We always use a tank as suggested on other posts to stretch the seal.
P.S. Dont trim to much at one time!!!!!. Go down a line or two then try it on.

jonnythan:
Stretching latex seals does not work. They don't know what they're talking about.

You need to trim it.

Cut it very very carefully. My preferred method is stretching it over a tank or large coffee can and using an X-acto knife, but I have also successfully done this with scissors. The most important things you need to keep in mind are:

1) Do not leave any 'nicks' on the neck seal, because they WILL run and you will have a rip. Cut smoothly.
2) Cut only a little bit at a time. The neck seal should have little ridges on it.. cut off one ridge, then try it on. You can always cut off another, but you can never put one back on.

Sorry all I should have read this prior to posting!!!!! Is there an echo in here!

SwimJim:

Jim

Who needs above freezing temperatures to dive:05:

SwimJim:
Now if these winds would abate and it would get above freezing I could take it out for a test run.
Jim
Helllllooooo! It's a drysuit, freezing windy weather is where you can REALLY appreciate having one :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom