Latest Fantasy Island Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CajunDiva

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi ScubaBoard buddies. Well, another trip to Fantasy Island is in the record books. We had a wonderful 10 day stay and enjoyed every minute of it. During our nine days of diving, we only encountered one rainy day. Although the weather cooperated for us, we had to do our best to adjust to the cold water...it was several degrees colder than last January :eyebrow: Even at that, the most exposure protection I wore was a 1mm full suit with a 3mm shorty over it. And that was only one day. For the most part I wore dive skins with the 3mm shorty over it.

I wanted to share some of my favorites photographs from this trip. Please don't criticize me too harshly...I'm only a novice photographer! I know there are a few folks looking forward to their upcoming trips to Fantasy Island and I wanted to share these to help them get ready!

Attachments

• Anemone (2).jpg
    Anemone (2).jpg
    447 KB · Views: 72
  • Anemone.jpg
    Anemone.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Arrow Crab.jpg
    Arrow Crab.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Baby Trunkfish.jpg
    Baby Trunkfish.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Banded Coral Shrimp (2).jpg
    Banded Coral Shrimp (2).jpg
    446 KB · Views: 70
  • Banded Coral Shrimp.jpg
    Banded Coral Shrimp.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 67
  • Coral.jpg
    Coral.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Crab (2).jpg
    Crab (2).jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Crab Releasing Eggs.jpg
    Crab Releasing Eggs.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Fish Life.jpg
    Fish Life.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Grey Angel.jpg
    Grey Angel.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Hawksbill Turtle.jpg
    Hawksbill Turtle.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Hermit Crab Out of his Shell.jpg
    Hermit Crab Out of his Shell.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Octopus.jpg
    Octopus.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Pitiful Fish!.jpg
    Pitiful Fish!.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 73
Here are a few more. Check out the last image...does anybody know what these are :confused:

Attachments

• Reef Scene.jpg
    Reef Scene.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Seahorse.jpg
    Seahorse.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Spotted Moray Eel.jpg
    Spotted Moray Eel.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Three (3) Juvenile Drum.jpg
    Three (3) Juvenile Drum.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Toad Fish.jpg
    Toad Fish.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Trumpet Fish.jpg
    Trumpet Fish.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 48
  • What Are These....jpg
    What Are These....jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 93
Gorgeous photos!

I think the last one is a sponge of some sort, but that's a wild-rear-end guess. What are you using as photo equipment?

Thanks!

hdtran

Gorgeous photos!

I think the last one is a sponge of some sort, but that's a wild-rear-end guess. What are you using as photo equipment?

Thanks!

hdtran

I use a SeaLife DC1200 camera with one strobe and one of SeaLife's brand new LED video lights, which I love!

I also assumed they were sponges of some sort, but have never come across them before. They were like perfect little purple mushrooms :D

Great photos!

I know you have been there a million times but how about a trip report telling us the upgrades you noticed since your last trip (when the management switched)

Betty, I have NOT been there a million times...but I do love the place :blinking:

There have been major changes since the last time I was there, most of which Rich highlighted in the thread "Actions Speak Louder Than Words". Specifically, this trip we found that the new skylight in the dining room is (in my opinion) fabulous, the new exterior lighting is very nice. They even mounted a new spotlight that changes colors and highlights the flags out in front of reception...nice touch :D They are in the middle of changing out all of the docks, so that is an on-going process that will be particularly rewarding when complete.

During our 10 days there we witnessed the arrival of new SpringAir pillowtop mattresses for ALL of the rooms. My understanding is that there will also be new bed linens, towels, etc. Those items were being installed as we left. There are new a/c units in almost all rooms...a few left to complete. A new refrigerator was delivered to our room while we were there. They had also begun installing the new door locks with card keys - this is a SUPER upgrade.

The lobby and bar area has been refurbished and looks super with new paint and recessed lighting. While all of these material things are great and really nice to have, the thing about Fantasy Island that I love the most are the people who work there. They are the kindest, sweetest people and I love them dearly. They are still there, and as long as that is the case, Fantasy Island will be a fantastic place to visit and dive :D

Hi ScubaBoard buddies. Well, another trip to Fantasy Island is in the record books. We had a wonderful 10 day stay and enjoyed every minute of it. During our nine days of diving, we only encountered one rainy day. Although the weather cooperated for us, we had to do our best to adjust to the cold water...it was several degrees colder than last January :eyebrow: Even at that, the most exposure protection I wore was a 1mm full suit with a 3mm shorty over it. And that was only one day. For the most part I wore dive skins with the 3mm shorty over it.

thanks for the report! I'm headed to Roatan in a week and was wondering what the water temps were?

Thanks again!

Water temps anywhere from 76 to 79 degrees...

Hey Jackie..Well done. :D Those are great shots. You have to share the camera make model etc. and teach me a few things as I may be in market for a new system. You captured good colour there. I was there at FI with a group same week (Jan 24-31, 2011) from Canada and have to give thumbs up to the efforts and money being put into Fantasy Island upgrades. Under new management with new air conditioners, mattresses, remodelling, varnish, paint you name it. I look forward to seeing it again when all completed. I found the food, water and hospitality by all that worked there excellent and made me feel at home. A big plus as a diver is that the compressor for Nitrox users is state of the art, brand spanking new. CO monitoring system in place as well. No issues with air quality or consistant fills (32 %) and nitrox monitors and pressure gauges supplied on site. Showers, wash tubs and secure storage over night. Darren (Dive operation boss) and his crew continue to work to making you a satisfied customer continuing to work on equipment maintenance for diver safety as they renovate and upgrade operations. Kudos for that. He is very approachable, nice way about him, young man and as are those who work with him and cannot assist you if you do not let him know to make things better as "he cannot see behind his back". They allowed us (group) the luxury of having our own boat captained by Carrie James (good fella , easy going and helpful and oblidging) and "get off my boat" Miguel as DM who allowed us to dive at our leisure. The house coat robes, towels, pinnapple on board are a nice touch when needed as well if you get a cool after multiple dives or even one (water a mere 79 degrees). Our waters are temperature and visibility challenged compared to the Caribbean of course. The Dive Shop has pretty well anything you need if you forgot it at home or decide to leave it at home. Prices are reasonable. I have a tendency to bring "everything" for contingency purposes which my fellow divemates jab me for and thus I am overweight for flight :wink:. Not the next time though as not required at Fantasy Island. Do not go to FI if you are expecting the Great Barrier Reef or other exotic location. Most divers love being in the water period! and all the rest is extra (see photo evidence of Jackie's), take it all at face value, dive safe, and again at any dive location and FI in particular, allow flexibility, be humble in your approach, take it for what it is and enjoy the company as the people are friendly and will help you where they can and enjoy the water. I did. Thankyou Rich, Jackie, Hank, Miguel, Carrie, Darren and to my dive buddies/group. Look forward to another opportunity to go to Fantasy Island.

Lou, dunbustn in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada :cool2::D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom