Latest Fantasy Island Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing! I really like the octo imitating a vase coral......really cool shot and good work!!

Thanks Cudabait...that octo picture is among the favorites I've ever taken...probably because it was taken on a night dive - and I'm afraid of the dark! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: That picture made it worth the effort :wink:

Here are a few more. Check out the last image...does anybody know what these are :confused:

Well, Jackie......I think it is possible that you have an excellent photo of some Strawberry Tunicates displaying a shade of violet......that's my best estimate and I'm sticking to it!!!!!!

On another subject.....are you happy with the video light? Have you shot some video with it using your SL 1200? From your photos, looks like it pans light in addition to the strobe.

Lewisevans: You say you are headed to Roatan in a week. Are you going to Fantasy Island. We will be there Feb 14-21 and looking for others who will be there the same time.

Well, Jackie......I think it is possible that you have an excellent photo of some Strawberry Tunicates displaying a shade of violet......that's my best estimate and I'm sticking to it!!!!!!

On another subject.....are you happy with the video light? Have you shot some video with it using your SL 1200? From your photos, looks like it pans light in addition to the strobe.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH...I should have caught that - didn't realize Strawberry Tunicates displayed a shade of violet :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Seriously, we looked it up in Paul Humann's Reef Creature identification book and I have to agree with you completely. Wow! I feel lucky to have spotted them :D

I am very happy with the video light. Honestly, I have to tell you that I find it just as useful as a flashlight! When cruising the walls, I turn it on high and flash it into all the crevices and cracks...amazing. It illuminates everything very well without the light being so intrusive. LED light is MUCH more favorable in an underwater environment.

When using it for filming videos, I have to be sure and turn the power to a lower setting or it tends to turn everything red. This was my first trip with it and my first time using it, so there is a bit of a learning curve. We'll be doing some muck diving in October and I think it will be GREAT for that purpose...will have to follow up and let you know :D

Hey Cuda...since you have now established yourself as an ID guru :wink: , what do you think of this??? Hubby and I observed this creature for several minutes and were convinced it is a live creature - it moved and I observed it's "tail" wrapped around the piece of coral it is attached to in the picture. We have had several people look at it and they think it's some type of sponge...I think it's some type of albino seahorse. Have you ever come across anything like this :confused:

Attachments

• PICT0028.jpg
    PICT0028.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 80
Hey Cuda...since you have now established yourself as an ID guru :wink: , what do you think of this??? Hubby and I observed this creature for several minutes and were convinced it is a live creature - it moved and I observed it's "tail" wrapped around the piece of coral it is attached to in the picture. We have had several people look at it and they think it's some type of sponge...I think it's some type of albino seahorse. Have you ever come across anything like this :confused:

You'll have to decide for yourself on this one. It could go either way......anyway, so you have a benchmark to start, take a look at the real deal: http://www.battisto.com/Utila_Dive_Trip-May_2006/target44.html

Lewisevans: You say you are headed to Roatan in a week. Are you going to Fantasy Island. We will be there Feb 14-21 and looking for others who will be there the same time.

I'll be there the 12th through the 19th. I won't be at Fantasy Island though, I'm diving with Coconut Tree Divers.

.....anyway, so you have a benchmark to start, take a look at the real deal:

aark050-1.jpg

This little guy was hanging out at the CCV Strobe Buoy on the shore dive.

Back
Top Bottom