Last pool class before heading to open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for my newbie ignorance, but what is the point of putting on your gear at the bottom of the pool? Is this a practical exercise?

:victory:

Sorry for my newbie ignorance, but what is the point of putting on your gear at the bottom of the pool? Is this a practical exercise?

It gives you confidence in solving your problems underwater.

Congratulations to your daughter. This skill is not easy!

I see several real life applications when this would be helpful; If your hoses get tangled up and you have to take your bc off to get untangled; if you drop a fin and have to put it back on underwater; if your boat explodes and you have to jump in the water without your gear on and put it on while staying below the surface (because the boat is on fire):demented:

It is not a practical exercise for anyone, any time. If your gear is tangled, you have to remove it first, fix the tangle and then replace it. You don't throw it in the water and then jump in after it.
It is NOT part of ANY PADI course and is definitely not suitable for new divers who are under enough stress already.

I see several real life applications when this would be helpful; If your hoses get tangled up and you have to take your bc off to get untangled; if you drop a fin and have to put it back on underwater; if your boat explodes and you have to jump in the water without your gear on and put it on while staying below the surface (because the boat is on fire):demented:

I can only assume you are being really sarcastic here....

If your hoses are that tangled up that you need to remove your BC underwater then #1 you didn't do anything even close to a buddy check and #2 how could you not notice the strain on the hoses before you went underwater?
If you drop a fin, why would you toss your gear in and put it on underwater? This makes NO sense at all....
As for the boat on fire, that I agree with - but please, pick a better boat next time!

What certification agency was this?

I don't think PADI requires any type of ditch and don like NAUI used to where you had you gear at the bottom of the pool and had to put it on. I think PADI just requires removal and replacement on the bottom, once you're on the bottom.

Sounds a bit crazy to me. I saw somebody do that once at an open water site. It looked like he hit his chin on the tank jumping in.

What certification agency was this?

I don't think PADI requires any type of ditch and don like NAUI used to where you had you gear at the bottom of the pool and had to put it on. I think PADI just requires removal and replacement on the bottom, once you're on the bottom.

Sounds a bit crazy to me. I saw somebody do that once at an open water site. It looked like he hit his chin on the tank jumping in.

Hey guys - I just finished my pool classes through PADI and we just had to take off our gear underwater at the bottom of the pool (10ft) and put it back on - don't know if I could have jumped in without my mask found the gear and put it on. That would have stressed me a tad :shakehead: Kudos to the kid for doing it! My son is nearly 13 and did the course with me and he too was way ahead of the adults. Something to be said for being young with a total lack of fear .... ahhhh the good old days!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom