Larygospasm and how it factors into drowning:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaaBoss

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I found the following thread from over a decade ago: https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/persistent-laryngospasm.281405/
Before I found this thread on SB however, I read the most comprehensive article on the overall detailed subject of drowning, which includes the role of laryngospasm in drowning. I certainly learned a lot and I suspect that many MDs and divers alike would do well to read this whole article.

I didn't see any reference to one specific cause of drowning however: Hyperventilating before freediving: How and why this causes drowning. I suspect this is highly unreported, since it isn't obvious that is what occurred. Ask most anyone that isn't a diver, what they should do if they are trying to stay underwater longer what they should do?? Most would answer with the deadly and useless:, "Why, of course I'd first hyperventilate so I can stay down longer. It works every time!". Unfortunately, it can also work so well that you can drown. TEACH other non-divers about this danger.

Note that you might need to have, or get a password before you can read it: Drowning (on MedScape.com): Drowning: Background, Etiology, Epidemiology

Here are a few excepts, and the most troubling perhaps, is that 1/3 of the survivors suffer brain damage, and 10% of one study of >5 year olds came close to drowning. (And so, perhaps 3% of that whole population survey experienced brain damage, from "almost drowning"??)

Drowning remains a significant worldwide public health concern, ranking as the third leading cause of unintentional injury death and accounting for 7% of all injury-related deaths. It is a major cause of disability and death, particularly in children. At least one third of survivors sustain moderate-to-severe neurologic sequelae.​

A survey of 9,420 primary school children in South Carolina estimated that approximately 10% of children younger than 5 years had an experience judged a "serious threat" of drowning.

Annually, an estimated 372,000 people die from drowning [internationally], which accounts for drowning to be a major public health problem worldwide. Global estimates of drowning are likely a significant underestimation of the actual public health impact, [since] no annual international incidence of associated neurological injury has been reported. The overall incidence of drowning has an estimated range of 20-500 times the rate of fatal drowning.​

Back
Top Bottom