Larger Tanks - Playa Del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carlos Danger

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm headed to Playa in June, and was wondering if anyone might be aware of a good dive op in the area that offer tanks larger than the standard AL80? I've contacted quite a few of the ops in town, but on one seems to offer them.

Thanks!

Maredsous:
I'm headed to Playa in June, and was wondering if anyone might be aware of a good dive op in the area that offer tanks larger than the standard AL80? I've contacted quite a few of the ops in town, but on one seems to offer them.

Thanks!

I'm diving with Dennis @ info@diablodivers.com, June 4 thru the 8th. He is reserving some 100 psi steels for me.

Terry

Wkndbum:
I'm diving with Dennis @ info@diablodivers.com, June 4 thru the 8th. He is reserving some 100 psi steels for me.

Terry

I second that.

Terry, enjoy the dives!

I dove with Dennis the last week of April, and absolutely loved it. We did 2 reef dives and 2 cenote dives with him. Not only is he a great guide, he's a great guy!

I highly recommend him!

I will (soon, I hope) get around to writing a full dive report on my experience on the Riviera Maya...

Alex

Yeah, unfortunately Dennis is in Puerto Aventuras and doesn't pickup in Playa. Tankha, Abyss, DiveMike, etc, all indicated that they don't have larger tank options.

Thanks to everyone who responded so far. Any other recommendations I should checkout in Playa?

If you are looking for larger tanks to compensate for air consumption, don't forget most of your ocean diving will be drift diving. Most likely (if you relax) you'll have better air consumption since you don't need to excert yourself kicking. The current will take you for a nice ride and all you have to do is steer.

Try the good folks at DPM (Dive Puerto Morelos)-- I know they have at least a few 100's kicking around. http://www.divepuertomorelos.com/

We just returned from diving with them for the third year in a row--great people!!

Maredsous:

Thanks!
The profiles in PDC do not really warrant larger tanks. The average depth of the sites is 60 to 70, with a few sites to 90 or 100. PDC offers very relaxed, easy, peaceful diving. There can be current, but I haven't experienced anything too strong on that side.

I don't know of any shops in PDC that actively advertise extended bottom times because most also offer afternoon dives, so they have to keep the schedule in mind with regards to dive profiles. They have to leave enough time to refuel the boat, reload tanks, etc. That's a question for each individual shop and I am sure would be accommodated if the schedule allows.

If looking for a shop IN PDC, I can recommend Abyss. I dove with them in September last year for several days and had a great time. We did different sites everyday (except when we requested to repeat a site). The crew was great, the shop was accommodating, crew took care of getting our gear to the boat, they kept our gear overnight, and it was a nice experience for me to get away from my side for a few days.

Shops/operators outside of PDC that I can recommend are Dennis of Diablo Divers and Aquanauts in Puerto Aventuras.

I haven't dove further south that PDC, but I hear it's quite nice and it's definitely on my "to do" list :)

Have fun!

Maredsous:
Yeah, unfortunately Dennis is in Puerto Aventuras and doesn't pickup in Playa. Tankha, Abyss, DiveMike, etc, all indicated that they don't have larger tank options.

Thanks to everyone who responded so far. Any other recommendations I should checkout in Playa?

Check out ProTec. They might have some. Know they have dbls. They are located at Mom's Hotel. WWW.PROTEC.com

Protec is the dive shop to go to for specialized equipment.

Totally agree with Christi. Unless you are an absolute hoover there is nothing in the PDC-Aventuras-Akumal area that I can think of that would need a tank larger the an 80. I think I've done around 60 dives in the area over the past few years and avg around 50-60ft and we get 70min bottom times easily. The sites that are 75-90ft we are still around an hour and usually come up someone is cold, we've run out of reef, etc., not for air issues.

The strongest currents I've had there have been occasional and in the winter and are maybe about equivalent to a slow current by Cozumel standards. The current is usually barely noticable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom