Larger Tanks - Playa Del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the info, everybody. Actually, my interest in larger tanks is specifically because of my rate of consumption. In other words, I just want to be able to enjoy the same amount of bottom time like the next guy. I'm a big tall guy with big muscles, and just naturally breathe heavy. A standard S80 will never be able to provide me with the same bottom time as most people, because my body just naturally has a higher demand. However, I have gotten a little better at gas management over the years. Other than that, I personally hate the buoyancy chrematistics of standard AL tanks. I've managed to contact a few shops that have AL100's, but Denis is the only guy I can find in the area (mainland) that has steel 100's. He also has an excellent reputation, so I'm seriously considering just hoppin' a cab every morning down to his shop.

If you can't get big tanks why not double 80s?

Maredsous:
Thanks for all the info, everybody. Actually, my interest in larger tanks is specifically because of my rate of consumption. In other words, I just want to be able to enjoy the same amount of bottom time like the next guy. I'm a big tall guy with big muscles, and just naturally breathe heavy. A standard S80 will never be able to provide me with the same bottom time as most people, because my body just naturally has a higher demand. However, I have gotten a little better at gas management over the years. Other than that, I personally hate the buoyancy chrematistics of standard AL tanks. I've managed to contact a few shops that have AL100's, but Denis is the only guy I can find in the area (mainland) that has steel 100's. He also has an excellent reputation, so I'm seriously considering just hoppin' a cab every morning down to his shop.

I don't know how long you've been diving or anything, and I don't mean to offend, but, how tall and musclular can you be that you suck that much more air? Size isn't usually the reason for less efficient air consumption. I dive with a tall (6' 2") and well built guy who is a long time moderate smoker. He started out as a self professed hoover boy. After working on bouyancy, dropping about half the lead he was using, improving his cardio (having muscles doesn't always mean someone is in good cardio condition), and learning some more efficient breathing techniques, he was diving on the same tanks as everyone else.

I'm 6'5", 240Lbs, and do not smoke. I have been a competitive cyclist for almost 20 years now, so I like to think I'm in very good cardiovascular condition. I use very little weight in the ocean, and none at all in fresh water. I've worked a lot on optimizing my buoyancy profile as well as my skills, and I would say I'm better than average in this regard - I'm a very "quiet" diver. The fact still remains that my body just naturally demands a higher rate of consumption, and I personally see no fault in my disdain for the S80, nor my interest in seeking-out larger tanks possessed of better buoyancy characteristics. Call me a non-conformist, but if being able to satisfy my preferences makes for a better experience, then I'm a non-conformist.

I just got back Thur from diving with 100s with Dennis at Diablo Divers/Aquanauts and it was excellent. The comments posted so far are legit in terms of depth and bottom time but I, like you, prefer the extra air. I'm a big guy as well and my wife is 4'8'' and 95 lbs and unless I'm using 100s or 120s she consistently has more air than me. Puerto Aventuras is only 20km (15min) from PDC and worth the commute. I commuted from Cancun each day and it was worth it. Also, be sure to make a trip to Dos Ojos with Dennis for a couple of great cenote dives. Schedule the cenote dives for your last day and get a great fresh water rinse.

TexasScuba53 - Hey, thanks for the feedback. I emailed Dennis yesterday to book. I can' wait to get down there and get in the water. I just hope the weather holds-out. It's not looking too good at the moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom