Laptop to edit edit for gopro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool79

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Currently I am trying to edit the video through my laptop, it is pretty laggy and I am thinking of getting a new laptop or even a desktop to do the job. Was thinking of using iMac or MacBook Air.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if you have money to spare and want to do some real editing (I mean more frequently) get the fastest processor you can afford. I use a MacBook Pro core i7. If you want only incidentally to edit a movie I'd go for a MacBook Air. The Air's are also quite a lot lighter to bring a long. The 15 inch Pro is almost twice as heavy as the Air (2 kg vs 1 kg) so for travelling the Air is nicer. But then again how often do you lug them along :)
Also the Pro has the Retina screen which is nicer to look at.
A 13 inch screen is the minimum size to edit somewhat comfortably.

I use a 2011 13” fully spec’d out Air and for basic editing (intro, outro, color correction, transitions, titles all in Final Cut Pro X) of 720p60 video from my GoPro it works fine. I wish it did have a little more oomph, but I think a newer one would do even better.

I have a MacBook Air 11 inch (i5 dual, 2013 model) and do quite a bit I video editing on it. It's perfectly fine for 1080 30 fps files, once I start layering videos (PIP), or using 720 120 fps it becomes laggy in the the video editing software. I can manage this limitation. If you're doing 60 fps, you may require more hardware.

Also the 11 inch display is a tad small for the poorly layed out premiere elements UI.

If you get a Mac, the free iMovie does a decent job of basic editing.

I think will get a refurbish 15 inch which at least have a graphic card which would be able to support the editing. What do you guys thing?

The new MacBook Pro does not allow me to upgrade the ram once I have purchase it and I have to get the top end, then I would be able to have a decent graphic card. This cost 1.5 times more than the refurbish MacBook Pro!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go with a good windows based laptop with the specs you want, get rid of the Windows 8 junk on it & install Linux on it. Then you'd have the hardware covered and the software.. Mac Os X and linux are in essence the same (Unix/Linux) otherwise you're really just buying into the Apple name. Although a desktop would be even more powerful for editing.

"good windows based laptop" no such thing :wink:

"Mac Os X and linux are in essence the same" just like Porsche and Volkswagen are in essence the same :wink:

I regularly go on rotation between a MacBook Air and a dual boot Ubuntu/Win 7 HP Elitebook. For video editing software at the entry level, nothing beats iMovie. At the prosumer level, nothing beats Final Cut Pro. Maybe I'm just missing the competing options for Linux, the ones I've used I like better than almost everything on Windows, but not as much as the Apple software.

I do quite a bit of video editing. Go with what you know but make sure you have a good processor and then upgrade the ram and but a SSD in it. Those are the two best upgrades to a basic computer.

I have an iMac and a Macbook Pro Late 2011. I do most of my clips on the iMac but when making heavy edits to a clip with the Macbook Pro, it would almost freeze up which was annoying. For $250, I put 16gig of ram and a 256gig SSD Hard drive, both from Crucial and it was amazing. I can do heavy edits, watch a video on Netflix and play a game at the same time without the lag now.

As far as a computer though, go with what you are comfortable with. Whether it be a Mac or Windows system. Just make sure you can do some hardware upgrades are compatible if you are going to do that.

go with a good windows based laptop with the specs you want, get rid of the Windows 8 junk on it & install Linux on it. Then you'd have the hardware covered and the software.. Mac Os X and linux are in essence the same (Unix/Linux) otherwise you're really just buying into the Apple name. Although a desktop would be even more powerful for editing.

Free Cinelerra software for Linux is professional quality-go to Youtube and search cinnelerra

---------- Post added December 20th, 2013 at 01:43 PM ----------

"good windows based laptop" no such thing :wink:

"Mac Os X and linux are in essence the same" just like Porsche and Volkswagen are in essence the same :wink:

I regularly go on rotation between a MacBook Air and a dual boot Ubuntu/Win 7 HP Elitebook. For video editing software at the entry level, nothing beats iMovie. At the prosumer level, nothing beats Final Cut Pro. Maybe I'm just missing the competing options for Linux, the ones I've used I like better than almost everything on Windows, but not as much as the Apple software.

Comparing a Mac with a high end windows gaming computer is like comparing a stock Mercedes Sedan with a Z06 Corvette :) You have to get into the Apple workstation configurations to get the same performance. BTW will Final Cut handle GoPro 4K or 2.7K video? Were talking off the shelf notebooks not work stations.

I know FCPX can handle 4k and 2.7k video. Without the proper system configuration, it will make yhe basic MacBook go crazy snd just about freeze on you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom