Laptop for photo storage and editing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I plan to buy a laptop to be able to download / review and edit my pictures while on dive trips. What would be your recommendations in terms of hardware and software ?
Screen size is probably not the most important as I plan to get a separate screen that I will be using for thorough editing at home.

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index15.html

I wouldn't have anything else.... :wink:

Built in CD/DVD burner
Fast graphics
Gorgeous screen
Super small/super rugged
integrated WiFi and BlueTooth
Built in photo manager
Plug and play with virtually every camera and camcorder on the planet, with software included
Firewire and USB 2 built in
Cool backlit keyboard for long flights

This is the choice of professionals.... :)

I use an ancient (by computer standards) Itronix laptop, 3 gb HD. No CD or floppy, just stick a CompactFlash in a PCMCIA slot.
The critters can withstand being dropped & washed down with a hose. They can run off a plain old 12vdc battery, or plug into cigarette lighter or 110v ac wall socket.
Best part is the price, under $250, sometimes way less.
They cost the govt $6000 when they were new, by the way.
I have an extra one here that I'm donating to Sub Ocean Safety.
http://www.suboceansafety.org
The ones I use have standalone Bantam Backpack CD burners.
Did I mention that they also double as a great GPS unit?

I would not spend a lot of money on laptop if you are just going to use it for photo storage. I think most LCD screen on laptop is not going to be an ideal monitor for you to use to edit picture properly. You are better off downloading all your pictures to your desktop at home (assuming that you have one) and edit all your pictures after the trip. Just use a reliable laptop to save your pictures and may be make a backup CD-Rom of your image.

Last year I spent about $2000 on a Dell Inspiron 8200 with 15" screen and have been regretting my decision somewhat. If I know what I know now, I would have gotten a less powerful laptop that is smaller and much much lighter and use the left over money on something else instead :)

ssra30 once bubbled...
I would not spend a lot of money on laptop if you are just going to use it for photo storage. I think most LCD screen on laptop is not going to be an ideal monitor for you to use to edit picture properly. You are better off downloading all your pictures to your desktop at home (assuming that you have one) and edit all your pictures after the trip. Just use a reliable laptop to save your pictures and may be make a backup CD-Rom of your image.

Last year I spent about $2000 on a Dell Inspiron 8200 with 15" screen and have been regretting my decision somewhat. If I know what I know now, I would have gotten a less powerful laptop that is smaller and much much lighter and use the left over money on something else instead :)

why are you regretting getting the dell because i use the previous version of the 8200 (the 8100) and i find it perfect for multimedia and photo editting. and with dual media slots (1 fixed , 1 bay) i can copy CDs and do alot of work on the laptop at one time(downloading, CD burning and copying photo editting, and internet, all at once its great) yes its a little heavy with 2 batteries in it but its good for what i do

Your Mileage may vary.

frogfish once bubbled...
I plan to buy a laptop to be able to download / review and edit my pictures while on dive trips. What would be your recommendations in terms of hardware and software ?
Screen size is probably not the most important as I plan to get a separate screen that I will be using for thorough editing at home.

Actually, I wouldn't even bother with a laptop for editing. I haven't found one yet that has a screen as good as a regular monitor, but I'm kinda spoiled, I have 2, 21" monitors side by side. Even the best mac-book can't compete.
You might want to look at an external drive where you can just offload your photos and then play with them when you get back. Of course, if you're on a week long trip, thats a long time to wait to really "view" you pics.

Last year I spent about $2000 ...
I don't know about you folks, but dragging a $2k goodie along on a dive trip isn't something I like to do, there are too many ways for it to get trashed out or go missing.
I'd much rather have something I can take along on a boat so I can see how the shots came out & leave the fancy stuff at home where its safe.

I've had all kinds of computer and have access to just about any thing I need or want for working issues. From lap tops, PC high end Cad workstations and even 8 way servers. My last desktop computer was a Compaq SP750 with Ultra3 10k drives and a 64 MB of video. My last two were laptops and even my next PC refresh at work is going to be a laptop

Here is the next box I want. Its a laptop wit a 17" wide screen mon

hp pavilion zd7000

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto/computer_customize_start.do

You can deck this bad boy out with tons of ram (both system (2gb) and video (128 mb)) a good size hd and a DVD burner. What more could you ask for!

Unless your really doing some heavy video editing not just your basic pic editing I would get a laptop. The prices are comming down and the performance is getting close to your avg PC desktop and in some ways even close to workstations. There just no way you can beet not haveing to sit at a desk. With my laptop I roam around from place to place and always have access to everything I need to do including the network since I use wirless.

Geek

I replaced an old laptop for this very reason last year, mainly to be used on dive trips. My main requirements at the time were a CD burner, large HD, and decent sized screen. I ended up with a Gateway with some features I didn't need but others I did. It works like a champ but I do wish it were lighter in weight! I basically use it to burn the originals to CD for safety, make the first cut on the photos, and for a slide show of the days pics for folks in our dive group every evening.

If I had it to do over, I would buy one of the alternative storage devices like the Archos Jukebox or the Fastrax. They both have a small screen to viewing and is good enough to make that first cut. While they seem expensive for their size, they are also MP3 players, have or accept very large hard drives, as well as photo storage and other features I know I'm forgetting to mention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom