Lanier - WBP - 4/24/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That wind was fierce today. A few of us still braved it all and got wet. It was 55F out and the wind was gusty. Gusts upwards of 35MPH. The Kraken didn't show up, and I hope he is ok. Jessie, Jeremy, Kyle, and I all got in a nice long dive. We dove to 49' and basically played above the thermocline. 60F on the surface, 50F at 49', thermocline at 30'. Above the thermocline is was 55-56F. We stayed above the thermocline on most of it and just did a nice long shallow dive. BT was 55 minutes. The lake wasn't yellow like two weeks ago and actually looked pretty decent. The viz was still down in the shallows of the lake and was barely 8-10' above the thermocline. The deeper you went though it cleared up to it's usual 15-20'. One huge suprise we got today, we saw a ton of fish. Saw atleast 15-20 largemouth bass, though they were all juveniles. At one time I had 5 in my line of sight, pretty amazing for lanier. I also saw a few longear sunfish. Really cool fish, he was letting me come right up on him. I carried my camera on the dive, but didn't take very many pics since the viz was so crummy. Kyle and I also found a few lures, one of which looked to be brand new. I also got to trim up some fishing line down in the start of the forest to make it safer for divers. I am going to attach a pic of Kyle, as well as a pic of the lake. We were hoping to get two dive in today. Above the thermocline it was plenty warm to do multiple dives. Unfortunately topside was brutal with the wind, and no relief anywhere. We decided to not stand aroudn wet and freeze topside. So we just cut it short at one dive, but it was a nice one atleast. I would like to thank everyone for coming out, and look forward to diving with you all again.

Matt

Glad you got wet. The lake looks pretty nice. I almost wish I was up there with you, considering the conditions down here. I went to the Destin jetties Saturday to find more brown water - checked out the old pier at Crystal Beach and found a red flag flying and heavy wave action with more brown water. I'm gonna try again Monday.

I guess you didn't learn how to get those pics like I taught you to :D? You have to get close so the water looks clear to those who don't know better and you got to get right in the face of those fish and make them look like whales :D. Maybe next time we'll see the rare Lanier fish?

Hi, guys !!!
I know you guys think I woosied out, but not the case.

Linda took a really nasty spill going down the stairs to the laundry area, and I mean nasty. She had a knot on the side of her head so big I thought it was going to rupture!!!

Took her to the e-room for examination. The doctor said she was OK but to keep an eye on her for several hours.

She has some really nasty bruising on her side, left thigh and shin and on her left upper arm.

She may or may not go to work today, she's very sore.

If she does I'm afraid someone may report me for spousal abuse.

She'll be OK.

Glad you guys saw some fishies.

the K

Matt, how'd the STA work out?

Kyle and Matt,

Had a great dive again as usual with you two. Looking to head up to thoes quarry's in Tenn. sometime.

Jeremy

TK, tell Linda to get better and watch her step going down the stairs. diving in water = FUN... Diving down stairs = NOT FUN!!

The Kraken:
Hi, guys !!!
I know you guys think I woosied out, but not the case.
Not the case at all. We were just hoping everything was ok. I guess it wasn't. I hope Linda heals quickly and can get back up on her feet. What a horrible injury. I've fallen a few times down various stairs. Since I work outside in slick conditions on slick pavement I've fallen down a few sets of stairs. My lower back still isn't right.. :( Wish her the best from Fran and I, and I hope we can get some dives together in the future.

the Kraken:
Matt, how'd the STA work out?
Didn't even notice it during the whole dive, so I would say it was sweet. :) Didn't feel any tank wiggle and everything felt nice and tight, thank you.

Seayoda:
Glad you got wet. The lake looks pretty nice. I almost wish I was up there with you, considering the conditions down here. I went to the Destin jetties Saturday to find more brown water - checked out the old pier at Crystal Beach and found a red flag flying and heavy wave action with more brown water. I'm gonna try again Monday.
Ugh, I would have thought it was getting better down there. After the green report I saw a week or so ago from you I was hoping it would have cleared by now. I might be down that way next week, I am hoping conditions are better. Please keep us updated.

Seayoda:
I guess you didn't learn how to get those pics like I taught you to ? You have to get close so the water looks clear to those who don't know better and you got to get right in the face of those fish and make them look like whales . Maybe next time we'll see the rare Lanier fish?
LOL! I guess that is what I should have done. It always suprises me that anything comes out in viz like that. I guess I should have macro'd with a flash and gotten super close, I'll try this next time.

JkSteger:
Had a great dive again as usual with you two. Looking to head up to thoes quarry's in Tenn. sometime.
Pleasure as always. I am also looking forward to all the quarries around here in Tenn/Alabama. I can't wait till they are so warm that we can dive them with 3 mils and no hoods! :)

Matt

EDIT: I just noticed the subject of this thread is for the year 2004! LOL! I hate when I put the wrong year down. Sometimes I can be very dyslexic.

Matt

Looks like a good dive, I'm envious! :D

I'll be getting wet this weekend offshore with some buddies of mine, so at the very least, I'll get temporary relief from all this time between dives!

Glad you guys had a good dive. It is good to see the water warming up some, makes the longer dives much more enjoyable. I am sure that the wind really chilled you off, I was kind of moping around since I was unable to make it out this weekend, but I must say I don't mind missing out when the wind is blowing as hard as it was.

Matt, how do you like your camera so far? It is really easy to get sidetracked when you are focusing on taking pics, as I am sure Yoda and Bugman would agree, but there is nothing like getting that really good shot. I go thru and pick a different wallpaper for the computer each week from the pics I took on Blackbeards.

K, I hope Linda gets to feeling better. She will probably be sore for awhile. I still can't believe you pushed her down those stairs. :D

I am hoping to dive out at WBP this Saturday. I am trying to get my bro in law to join me seeing as he needs to get some dives in before out Grays reef trip. It will probably be early around 9:30 am since he has to go to work at 2 or 3 pm. If anyone is interested come on out.

I might be interested if my rescue class doesn't fly this weekend Allen. I'll keep you posted. So far the camera has been nice. Setting the white balance at depth has been a great trick. I'm looking forward to possibly getting the camera in clearer water in the future to take some better pictures. I am still going to work on macro mode shots up close in lanier now that we are seeing some fish in the warmer water. I'd like to get some macro shots of some of those crayfish I had seen in some of the previous dives. I'm also hoping to start doing some fishing out there when it warms up on my surface intervals. Kyle and I are collecting lures as we speak.

Hope you have a blast this weekend offshore bugman! Please bring back plenty of pics and a good report for us. I might be down at vortex this weekend depending if my class has enough participants in it or not.

Matt

Had a great time yesterday at the lake with matt, jeremy, and his brother. Sorry we mised you K, but we understand the situation. Tell linda I hope she gets well soon, and to make you carry the laundry down the stairs. : :eek:uttahere

I wont be able to go diving this weekend. The better half is getting on to me for not fixing things around the house, well I have been diving EVERY WEEKEND since my certification. :D. Thank you god for the gift of diving.

I would like to try and scedule a trip to one of the quarries sometime in may, so if anyone want to come out try and let me know what weekend you want to dive. I will plan my scedule around everyone elses so that we can try and get a big turnout.

Kyle

kylepreid:
I would like to try and scedule a trip to one of the quarries sometime in may, so if anyone want to come out try and let me know what weekend you want to dive. I will plan my scedule around everyone elses so that we can try and get a big turnout.
I'm heading to Blue Stone Quarry in Thomasville, NC on May 15th. About 5-6 hrs from here. I'm going to day trip it. Anybody is more than welcome to come. I'm going to meet up with some of the NC Wreck Divers and have some fun at a nice quarry.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom