lanier report-WBP-6-19-05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kylepreid

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Went out on a dive at WBP today at around 6:00 pm with some people from the marietta Divers Supply. I had a great time meeting a bunch of new people, and all of them were really nice. That was the only thing that was good about the trip. Lanier was the worst I have ever seen it. The viz was HORRIABLE, unless you were black water certified today was not a day to dive. I have a can light, and there were times I couldn't see my light beam, that is how bad viz was. We tried to make our way out to the forest, but we kept loosing sight of each other. There were times when I had to do a 3 min. search for my buddy and then surface because I couldn't find her, and when she would pop up she would be right in front of me on the surface. HORRIABLE I SAY. I did a dive with corigan earlier this week at WBP and it was great, so that is telling me that weekdays are good for lanier and weekends are good for the quarries or the beach. No more diving for me on the weekends at lanier during the summer, to many boats and to many people swimming in the water causing no viz.
:flush: I dont think im even going to log these dives.

Kyle

Man, sorry about the viz, KP !!!
Makes for good training, however. What was your SAC after those dives ?!?!?!

Hang tight, your B/P-STA is not far away, young Jedi Knight . . .

the K

Sorry to hear about the viz Bud. So when we going out during the week this week? I'm kind of glad I didn't feel well and decided to stay home.

Matt

I grew up at Lanier and have been diving there since the mid seventies. Weekend diving the Vis will be bad because of all the activities and boat traffic disturbing the silt. After rainstorms and flooding, the vis is poor also. Usually Wed and Thurs are the best days. Went on the 13th, last Monday, and at 85ft the vis was a lot better than 0-35 ft. Was actually 10 ft!! A lot is dependant on the bottom where you are diving, that is why it usually is more clear near the Saddle Dykes where there are lots of rocks, or where the bottom is clay. My light was pretty usefull last week in broad daylight!!

HAve fun....I am going to PCB and some springs and get where I can see something.

Saddle Dykes ? where is that?

Corigan and I dive lanier all the time out of WBP, but like I said earlier, this was the worst yet. There was just to many people in the water due to it being fathers day. Usually we have a great time out there even if there is only 8-10' viz, like last wednesday. We are talking about checking out another site called redneck reef, if anyone has info on that site, I would appreciate some feedback.

Hey K, thank you master,I feel that the force is strong within. Im just not complete yet, STA, help it will

Kyle

andrea31419:
Do any of you have photos of u/w Lake Lanier?
pics dont come out to good in lanier since the viz is so bad, but my buddy corigan has a few that we could make out. He posted some on another form, you could probably find them in his picture gallery.

Andrea,
I'll be up there this weekend, I'll try to get some with my little SeaLife.
It's a pitiful little thing, but I'll see what I can do.

PS, Kyle, I'll have your B/P-STA about Wednesday.

the K

Guess that means that this weekend is probably not a good time to dive Lanier?
I just picked up a 7mil FJ so I could get wet up there. I was thinking about seeing if anyone was going to be up there this weekend. Don't think I want to attempt anything in zero viz yet though.

Back
Top Bottom