Lanier (or anywhere near Atlanta) 4-7 or 8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adder70

Contributor
Reaction score
I am having my tanks VIP'ed and got a new comp today. I will be picking up the tanks and my download kit on Friday, and I need to get at least one dive in somewhere close to Atlanta on Saturday or Sunday. I can adjust my schedule to meet anyone anywhere anytime in the area for a dive, even if I just dive a quick checkout of my equipment (dry since Xmas '03) and retreat to a nice warm vehicle! I have dove 64F water to 80ft and survived a normal length dive with no shivering and no lasting effects, so Lanier should be OK if a bit cold for a moderately short shallow dive.

Corey,
There is a group of us meeting up at Lanier west bank park Sunday 5/1 at 0930.

Just noticed that you are probably talking about next weekend on 5/7 or 5/8 so disregard the above message.

Hey Corey. I should be around next weekend for a dive. Once this weekend becomes more solid I will post back up here with a more permanant guarantee that I would be there. I am hoping to get in a dive sometime this week after work, and one this weekend would be great. I'm waiting to read the dive report from the crew at lanier today, but last week it was Mid-high 50's above the thermocline at 30'.

Matt

Upper 50's would be pretty cold, but I should be OK for a shallow dive at that temp. I did a quarry dive in Florida with a min temp of 57 and a depth of about 25 feet. (I also had about 40 pounds less, um, insulation, back then!) I took the day to warm back up, but I really want to get a local dive in and have a week to fix any equipment issues before my trip to Ginnie on the 13-15. Besides, I don't want my first dive after a long dry spell (pun intended) to be on Friday the 13th! :monster:

As long as you stay above the thermocline you should be OK. The temps today were 54-58 degrees. Ken did his first dives at Lanier today and he was wearing a 3 mil. He did get cold, but was able to spend about 33 minutes in the water for the first dive. If you have a hooded vest and gloves it will help tremendously.

adder70:
...(dry since Xmas '03) ...

I would run through some refresher drills after checking out my gear while at Lanier. Some simple OOA, Mask clearing, etc, if it has really been almost a year and a half since you were wet.
I look forward to seeing you out at Lanier especially now that its warming up a little.

Jeremy

I'm definately looking to get a dive or two in this weekend Corey, so let me know which day works best for you.

Kyle and I just got back from Lanier. Pulled a nice 1 hr and 4 min dive. We stayed above the thermocline with a max depth of 35'. Min temp was 56F. It was nice! I stayed plenty warm and had a great time. We collected trash on this dive and filled a huge collection bag. A good 30lbs of trash and fishing line. Kyle and I were collecting line like crazy today. Our knives and shears got some good workouts. Saw the usual gang of fish today, plenty of juvenile basses, a few good sized basses, one bass that looked to be a good 5-6lb, and plenty of longear sunfish. Kyle and I have become quite the fish finders, hehe.. I also ran a good 300'+ of line today to work on my reel practice. On a positive note, WBP was a ghost town. Very little traffic. I could get used to these after work dives..

Kyle and I are going to try to go back out to the lake tomorrow evening after work if everything works out as planned, let me know if anybody is interested. Even if we get off work around 5 we are going to try to pull a dive, even if it's a night dive (Start time 8:30 or so). Hit me up if you want to tag along and get wet tomorrow.

Matt

If we weren't frantically cleaning for guests arriving Thursday, I would definitely join you tonight! Keep me mind, as I would be definitely be interested as early as next week for an evening dive!

As for this weekend, a nice Saturday morning dive would work well. I want to be in Cumming for an Aussie rules football game around 2, so I would like to be dry (out of water, not fully dressed) by about 1 or so. Otherwise, anytime Sunday is OK with me, just let me know.

scubaPT:
If you have a hooded vest and gloves it will help tremendously.
Check and check (5mm hooded vest and gloves if I can find both :D )

adder70:
Otherwise, anytime Sunday is OK with me, just let me know.
Sunday would be the best for me, but of course it is mother's day. It's not a big deal to me and I still plan on going diving. Kyle and Heather are talking about heading out to Alabama Blue Water this weekend, but I think I'm just going to stay local and do a lanier dive. What time would you like to meet up on Sunday, anytime is good for me, but the later the better. The later we show up the more chance the lake has had to warm up all day. Also how many dives are you wanting to get in? I assume with a 5mm/hood one would be about all we would want to do above the thermocline. Let me know when you want to get together,

Matt

Back
Top Bottom