Language in posts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even though I don't understand what's being said, I don't really mind when Tagalog appears. If it's something I'm curious about, I ask. <shrug>

El Orans:
Guilty as charged. :)

Laurens

hey you're back , there was some time that you weren't greeting as a greeter.....

well i try as much as possible to keep it in english. however i also make sure that if anyone needs translation i give the proper translation (this does not include JAGS translation of my instructor posts on an adjacent thread. that was aliteral translation that was a joke in its entireity, sic.)

We do have a section that have local terms , i just could not find that thread. if anyone can find it please update that thread so it comes to the top

Oh and guys please keep your cool in responding to this topic.

ASAR TALO! (pissed/piqued looses)

it also would benefit the visitor to learn some of the words as not much of the staff in resorts are fluent in english.

clgsamson:
I'll post in the vernacular if I want to. If someone needs a clarification, he/she only needs to ask and i'll clear the issue. "Respect" is a very nice word.

i agree. most of the discussions are in english but we kinda have fun and joke around in "tagalog" its separates this Philipine Paradise Divers from other geo forums which i am sure have some posts or comments in their respective language. i feel no reason why one should think that we would be 'snickering' behind someones back or someone who does not understand 'tagalog'. as caloy stated, 'respect' is a very nice word and is understood by almost everyone on the board, common courtesy would be to ask...... SIMPLE:)

I'll throw in my $0.02 cents here, as a Filipino-American: Personally, I don't mind the switch from English to Tagalog (it's actually very much like family gatherings here in the states), even though I was raised with the English language and only a little Tagalog (I actually knew more Tagalog when I was 2 years old, visiting my Mom's hometown in Ilo Ilo). We'll be visiting the Philippines sometime in the next 5 years, and I'm very happy to see this forum flouishing as it is. Hopefully I'll dive with some of you sooner or later.

gfisher4792:
I'll throw in my $0.02 cents here, as a Filipino-American:

welcome gfisher4792 to the ppd forum:) you are technically a Philippine Paradise diver and my father is from iloilo as well. anyway hope you get to dive with us soon. dive safe

I don't recommend avoiding Tagalog altogether. So why not just put in the English translation along every time you want to use Tagalog as courtesy to other foreigners? Never mind if it doesn't translate exactly as you would want it. (Anyway, everyone here seems to have a lot of time to this forum :) - and having fun as well.)

I also think that anyone, whether a Filipino or a foreigner, who loves to dive the Philippines deserves to be called a PPD. I believe many of these foreigners have seen and dived more places here than us. And many of the resorts are owned by foreigners who have become important evangelists in promoting our country.

my personal opinion lang (only).

Allen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom