Lanes Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver:
"Divers must be within 100' of dive flag when on or near the surface". I guess I was directing my comments at the folks who say they don't dive with one at all.

So if you drop the flag on shore and then surface near shore and
near the flag, you are good to go. Correct?

Green_Manelishi:
So if you drop the flag on shore and then surface near shore and near the flag, you are good to go. Correct?

Well...I think the flag might need to be in the water, plus that would be a good way to lose a flag during an incoming tide. What I do is swim out to the reef and find a big rock to anchor it under, then navigate to and from the flag.

Using this technique I was mildly hasseled once when I got lost and surfaced with a lobster cop waiting for us. He mentioned that we surfaced a little too far away from the flag, but understood that we can get lost. I also got hasseled in Fort Wetherill before a night dive...the one and only time I purposely didn't bring the flag. That resulted in a friendly conversation with an officer and a hike back up the hill in full gear.

I do agree that breaking the law is not a good plan. The question is, what good is the law if instead of protecting divers, it causes grief - entanglement, lobstermen terorizing divers, etc? I wonder who came up with this law - divers or some some unrelated paper rats? Were diving professionals ever consulted?

Just like the abovementioned cops, I would not blame people for ditching the flag if they find it hazardous.

While I generally abide by the flag law (espically at any high-profile NS beach) I'm do not support the law. As it is written I have to dive with a flag even at areas where no boats are alllowed (certain ponds). I find flags to be major source of entanlgment.

MASS-Diver:
s). I find flags to be major source of entanlgment.

Yup....I've got to figure out a plan for ditching the flag diving Cathedral Rocks...it seems like every time I go there, I have to do a free ascent from 60+ ft to find the flag line tangled around two or three lobster lines 5 ft below the surface. Can you say bounce diving?

Anchoring the dive flag near your intended area and retrieving it later sounds like the most practical idea while still remaining in line with the spirit and the letter of the law. Even w/o any pots the line can still get tangled on you, your buddy or an outcropping if your not careful.

Regarding the mischief at Lane's Cove, someone needs to grow up and find a life. If you do find the culprit/s and the police are a little unwilling(politics of sea-side communities might not be in your favor) to assist...remember you can always take out criminal complaints in the local district court w/o police involvement. Of course, it helps if the local police are on board. Civil suit for the damages is also a possibility. Ways to let these folks know divers mean business(w/i the law).

LobstaMan

Back
Top Bottom