Lanes Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like somebody should spend a few hours around high tide during the peak diving season tucked discretely out of sight with a video camera in one hand and a cell phone in the other, ready to get a little evidence and to call in the troops.

I share everyone's doubts on the raiding of lobster traps. But it will be a helluva lot more easy to get the evidence of crimes above the water line (and in the parking lot) than down below.

Score one for the diving team.

oceancurrent:
I have a friend who tends to tag along with a flagged group and then he "accidentally" gets lost in the beginning of the dive. Can anybody blame him? I don't think so.

Now, I don't fully agree that a diveflag is something you should get rid of by all means. But there are some dives when it is more of a hazard than help.

Would anybody else care to share wisdom on "techniques" for ditching the thing?

I often weight my flag under a rock and run a reel off it, although the reel must then be managed carefully.

Soggy, Bass Rock is a killer spot for bugs, although I think the entry might be tough except at high tide (the only time I've been).

Yeah, now to think of it I remember this summer Lanes Cove was flooded with Lobster pods...If those guys complain about "people taking their lobsters....and taking the food off their family's plate" then maybe they should start looking for a more profitable form of employment!!!!!!
They shouldn't complain...thats how it is now there, just is not as many lobsters as "there used to be" its not the early 1900's anymore and everything has been overfished. Don't blame that problem on divers.
They are in the business world ....when something doesn't pan out you move onto something else. You don't go down with the ship complaining the whole way to the bottom.
At Lanes Cove they parked their cars this summer so that noone else could enter. Why don;t they just grow up.

Thanks for that great discription, I'll definately have to check it out come spring. I'm always looking for some nice deep shore dives, especially seeing I still don't have a boat yet, while hopefully that will change all I have to do is help my dive buddy fix up his and boom well have a boat.
I think one of my favorite spots for bugs would be normans woe, its a nice area to dive, no people but the one problem is about half mile walk through the woods from where you park your car to the area to go diving.
I might have to keep that in mind about "forgeting" my flag.

Heres one for you guys, Two of my regular diving buddies and me went for a night dive at lanes cove. We are very experienced divers, 2 instructors and a DM and showed amazing courtesy while gearing up and entering the water. We did our dive and came out, de-geared and started our vehicles, right before leaving one of my buddies noticed something diffrent under his rear tire, camoflauged by grass and dirt. It was a board with about 15 nails driven through it placed there with the intention of having him back over it. So, thankfully, we decided to check under my tires and found the same exact thing hidden very well under my tire. Because of this, I promise I will find who is doing this, as I plan to tag along on the next night dive with a video camera, so I can hide among the rocks and find out who would be so immature. The tape will be given to the Local PD and we will see if we can stop this bullsh*t.

That is Bull sh$t!!!!.....what kind of people are these...We have as much right to the cove and water as they do and they purposly make it impossible for us to enjoy the area. I hope you are able to catch the person on camera that put the nails under your tires!!!!

(P.S. maybe a storm will come soon and give us some new ship wrecks to dive in the spring hahaha, just an evil thought. We shouldn't sink to their level)

I'm just being a devil's advocate here. While we are all ticked off that the commercial guys think we are law breaker's, let's re-read what "we" have posted in this thread. There are posts about "ditching" the dive flag and some folks even say they don't bother to dive with one. The fact is, it's a LAW. If commercial guys read us divers passing along tips on how to break the law, how can we reasonably expect them to think that we are law abiding in other areas? One commercial guy obviously does visit this site and rest assured, he will pass along any information that benefits his point of view.

As I posted earlier, I have personal experiences on both sides and you know where I stand (strongly on the side of divers).

Incidentally, I believe the law is that you need to surface within x # of feet from the flag, not that you need to remain by it during the entire dive. I'll have to look that up on the mass site, though.

"Divers must be within 100' of dive flag when on or near the surface". I guess I was directing my comments at the folks who say they don't dive with one at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom