Lanes Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, ya know what that sign has no teeth. They dont own that land. We have equal rights to have access to the Ocean at Lane's cove... If any lobsterman cuts my tires at Lane's Cove, he better have a good insurance policy on his boat!!!!

It was great that lobsterman Bob left a message here to discuss it. He seems like a reasonable guy.

As a new diver, ( one who doesn't even like lobster,) I'm getting nervous hearing about lobstermen buzzing scuba divers. That should be considered attempted homicide. That is like trying to hit someone with a car.

I own a 24 foot cruiser and if I EVER get buzzed by a lobster boat intentionaly I will guarantee you that the lobsterman will find whats left of his boat on the ocean bottom shortly after. I am SO careful boating. I can't even image purposely approaching people with a prop running. Thats sick! Even if someone was stealing a lobster, you don't have a right to try to kill them with a running propellor over it!

Let's hope that the word gets out that live and let live is the way to be, especially on the ocean where life has it's own dangers without people going at each other.

John C.

The area from behind Pigeon Cove Harbor to past the Lanesville shore is an absolute garruntee that you will be robbed by divers if you fish there.lobstermen on Sat-Sun will neglect other areas to haul the shore first so that our traps cannot be robbed by divers,but this oftens fails.

Bob this is the same story I've heard for almost 40yrs. from NJ, to RI to Ma. and lord knows fl. I trawled out of NJ while I owned a dive shop up there and it sure didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the story was. When the glut is on in the early season all is well except the bug price hits the floor. As the season progresses the traps dont fill and somebody MUSSSSST be stealing the bugs.
I really dont care anymore but I fished from NJ to Fl and the story was always the same and only got worse with the Murelitos, and when you got closer to Maine. I have never seen a diver pick a trap but of course it has to happen but no where near what lobsterman claim. More lobsterman think that any lobster is theirs and no matter who took it by whatever means it was stolen from them. Doors open on traps dont really prove anything only to the coffee clotch that needs to cut back on their caffine.
God donot ever extoll a commercial lobstermans virtues when shorts come to be compared with divers cause I have seen more shorts from commercial boats than I could ever imagine all sportdivers combined(primarily NJ but Ma boats impressed me too.
I gotta love the attitude about taking food out of their families mouth and essentially pity me (sounds like some lds I know of) The lobster wars down in south florida got pretty nasty and stupid until someone shot and killed a Miami commercial who dove on Keys lobster pots and cutthe bouys when done but thats another story.
And then theres the aspect of ocean access! What you think there is more access now than in the last 4 decades, it has change for sure but not what your illuding to. Down here lobstering is for hobbyists above really Miami and comm fish boats cant make a living on a bet and the feds only making it worse. Shrimping is the only struggle that has a chance and with mariculture and regulations I dont expect them to be more than a curiosity around here in the next 5 or so yrs. But yeah its the divers fault, or the coffee shop or .........................

Well said! These dudes certainly would benefit some attitude adjustment.

The question is what should we do to end their silly wars?!

Stop stealing lobsters? I will personally lynch anybody who does that. The problem is - I haven't met a single candidate in 5 years of diving.

Stay away from lobster traps? I don't think so! These are everywhere.

Go and confront the lobstermen? That will just fuel the aggression. :itschy:

Turn all lobstermen into peaceful computer programmers? Yeah, right!

Is there anything at all we can do?

From what I've read the dive site sounds really good, lots of interesting stuff to see with a hint of adventure. I was just wondering where this dive site is so I could possible go there during the summer, I'm sure you all know how it is trying to find new and different spots to visit. Hopefully I won't have problems there, I've had my car vandalized once, and all I would have to say is god help the next person even tries to touch my car.....(still angry over this past summer when my car got trashed over 3000 dollars in damages).
I don't think the whole buzzing thing is just related to the lobster fisherman, I do alot of diving up at lake Champlain in vermont and I've had boats and even a jet ski come within ten feet of my flag, these guys actually circiled my flag like it was a race marker. The thing with that is that any idiot can go and get a boat permite, theres no real test or anything, all you have to do is have the cash to pay for registering, they really should implement a class or something to educate all of these people about the rules rather then an accident happening and then all we here is the "I didn't know that" arguement. One would also have to hope that a lobsterman isn't going to be droping rocks down at you or trying to run you over, especially with the way they have intentionally placed their pots. I know that I myself have accidently run into a trap while under the water, All I end up doing is turning around and head in a different direction. I would hate to be worried that all of a sudden an brick is going to fall on me or my flag is going to get hit by a boat.
I can't seem to believe that a diver could the lobster industry by that much, I don't steal from traps, and I would report someone that did. I do go lobstering, but I don't even really like them that much, I just love the hunt for them I think that make it more interesting then anything. Hopefully those that do take them from pots will get there just desserts in the end.
To wrap it up it seems a few bad eggs have seemed to spoiled it for the image of lobstermen and divers. Can't we all just get along.

As heading on left side of rockport up 127, pass Folly and when see andrews street, take left to end and go to right right when see wall.

Following is from Northshore frogman's web site:

Lanesville is a decent intermediate level dive. Depths range from 0 to over 60 feet, if you swim out far enough. The trouble is, distance here is measured in the number of lobster lines you cross. All season long you will probably find no less than three sets of parallel lines of pots, running along the shoreline, starting from just few hundred feet from shore. So, swimming out any great distance here can be a chore, as you must either pull your flag under with you, or keep surfacing to detangle. The problem with surfacing is that it makes you an easy target for the lobstermen who frequently tend their pots here. Nothing - it seems - can be said or done to prove to them that scuba divers aren't the reason their catches are declining - and the lobstermen at and around Lane's Cove are directly descended from Ned Beatty's friends in Deliverance. Trying to keep 150 feet from any lobster trap at Lanes Cove (as the signs claim you must) is like trying to stay 150 from a pan handler in Central Square. Basically, you would if you could but you can't.

After parking along the seawall, check the conditions. Head off to the right, as you face the wall, and climb up onto the rocks and look seaward. You want mid to high tide for your entrance, and seas that are calm enough that they won't throw you back onto the rocks you'll be sliding off to get in. If you go in on a receding tide, the exit can be quite strenuous! If conditions are acceptable, go back and gear up at your car, or carry only what you'll wear into the water, down onto the rocks. Leave your car locked and valuable out of site.

The exposure is northwest, and the coastline is fairly straight. Slab rock sloping to the water. Once you are in, swim out only a couple hundred feet and you will find yourself in 20 to 30 feet of water, with a very weedy, kelpy bottom. Lots of little rocks and holes with many lobsters around, although the vegetation is thick enough that it may be hard to locate and grab them without actually tipping them off. Other life you may encounter at Lane's cove include ocean pout, flounder, hake, skates, sculpins, and sea ravens.

Keep swimming out, paying attention to the ever-present longshore current. Try to head out and in to the current, which is usually blowing North. This way, when you return, also swimming a bit into the current, you won't be too far North of your exit point! On one dive at Lane's Cove a couple years ago, my buddy and I had to swim back from just outside Folly Cove! Once you've crossed three sets of lobster lines (approx. 300 yards) you should come to a sloping rock bottom that eventually goes well below 60 feet. There can be a thermocline here and temperatures can drop off 10 degrees or so. There is a fine silt on the slab rock here. Try to stay off the bottom and avoid kicking near it as well. The generally good visibility goes to hell and stays that way for quite some time if you stir up the inky silt. Here be the big ones, matey. Look in the cracks in these slabs for lobsters that used to be legal in size, before the 1999 upper limits were set.

All in all Lane's Cove can be a nice alternate dive site, when faced with unacceptable conditions or no parking at your favorite spot. You do need to lug your gear up and down some rocks, and the current here can not be ignored. But, if your in good condition, a good swimmer, and willing to put up with occasional Yahoo harassment, Lane's Cove is a decent spot to get wet.

...as you must either pull your flag under with you, or keep surfacing to detangle.

I tend to just anchor the thing somewhere a little out from shore and navigate to and from there, especially if there are lines all over the place. I've never dived Lane's but it sounds like a nice site. My current favorite for lobstering is Bass Rocks.

Soggy:
I tend to just anchor the thing somewhere a little out from shore and navigate to and from there, especially if there are lines all over the place.

I have a friend who tends to tag along with a flagged group and then he "accidentally" gets lost in the beginning of the dive. Can anybody blame him? I don't think so.

Now, I don't fully agree that a diveflag is something you should get rid of by all means. But there are some dives when it is more of a hazard than help.

Would anybody else care to share wisdom on "techniques" for ditching the thing?

Back
Top Bottom