Lane Cove.... Beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crlavoie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My buddies and I did Lane Cove on Friday evening. This is probably my favorite Cape Ann site. Always lots of bugs and IMHO an interesting topography. Generally speaking, access is always good too....... UNTIL FRIDAY.

We got out of the water around 8:30 to find that my bro's truck had 2 flat tires. Someone ripped the valve stems right out. We never had a problem before but were advised by some neighbors that a group of locals that live on that street are known to get out of hand. We are fairly certain of the group responsible for it. To make matters worse, one of the yocals (who was completely in the wrapper)actually came down to the parking lot to start a fight with the 5 of us. No matter how we tried to diffuse the situation, he was intent on displaying his dissatisfaction with visitors or "effing outsiders" as referred to us. The tow truck (apparently there is only 1 service in Gloucester did not arrive until 12:00. Aside from that, it was actually a pretty good dive. Lots of dog fish and managed a few lobsters.

Apparently, divers are not well liked by the good people of Lanesville. Beware....

You're not going to believe this.....

My buddy and I had the same problem Saturday night.

We got out of the water at Lane's around 8:30, and found that the rear diver's side tire on his new F150 had THE VALVE STEM PULLED OUT.

Our non-diving friend was taking some video topside and wasn't right at the car when it happened, but did notice that as we got out, some younger kids (late teens, early 20's) jumped into a car and left quickly.

We pulled the vehicle into the open area next to the landing. There was a raging party at that same harbormaster-ish house, and it was loud and boisterous. Not a single person walking past us said a damn thing to us, and one guy even laughed out loud as he walked by. Classic case of two few of us and too many of them, or something would have gone down, I assure you. We've had enough of prick lobstermen and locals up there.

And divers wonder why I don't put dive flag stickers on my cars.

Screw Lane's Cove, screw the dick lobstermen. I hope their traps are perpetually empty, their boats sink, their kids can't afford school and their houses get repossesed.

I've seriously had enough of this.

Did see a tropical fish there, though.

Did anyone report to the police? Reaction?

Scubafisch

My buddy and I had the same problem Saturday night.

We got out of the water at Lane's around 8:30, and found that the rear diver's side tire on his new F150 had THE VALVE STEM PULLED OUT.

scubafisch:
Did anyone report to the police? Reaction?

What do you say? Who do you accuse? I hardly believe the Gloucester Police are going to go out of their way to fight for the rights of out-of-town divers over local lobstermen.

But I hear you. It's probably worth at least giving them a heads-up.

At certain locations in cave country, we post a vehicle watch. This ensures that nothing happens.

My suggestion is to bring 2 cars and take turns diving. Also the watchcar uses a video camera to video tape these people tampering with the tire. If caught and the police do nothing then its time to realize there is not much you can do. But if you are doing something legal and people come and fight with you the police should step in to avoid a bad scene. Wow, thanks for posting the warning.
And maybe its time to reassess all the Gloucester sites and label them freindly or un-freindly and ones you will need to be careful at.

Someone should let Cape Ann divers know that this is going on. While not everyone that dives on Cape Ann goes to their shop first, many out-of-towners do. A local buisness like them calling the police might be helpful.

PeaceDog:
Screw Lane's Cove, screw the dick lobstermen. I hope their traps are perpetually empty, their boats sink, their kids can't afford school and their houses get repossesed.

I've seriously had enough of this.

OK, I tried to avoid making the generalization about the local fisherman because I didn't want to start a debate. Truth be told, I am 99.9999% positive that it was the fisherman hanging out at that weird little house. Across the road from said house is 2 sheds loaded with gear and bunk beds where all of these guys were staying. Furthermore, the police are VERY friendly with this group as I witnessed them chatting and joking in the parking lot just before we got in the water. Interestingly, I couldn't get the cop to give me the time of day when I tried to politely interupt to ask if I was parked legally.

What gives? Is that the reputation that Gloucester wants?

The next bet is the chief of police and higher ups. Seems like these people know they can get away with this behavior. Thankfully they are not slashing tires if this is the case. But having a tow is a great inconvienience and expense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom