Land Based USA to Canada-empty the tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeahorseDeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings friends,
Going through Washington state to Canada via the Blaine border crossing in May. I cannot find anything on the US or Canadian Customs websites as to whether or not I can take my scuba tank filled or if I need to (gasp!!!) take the valve out for inspection. Am also concerned because I will have a 6cf cylinder of Argon for one deep dive. Site I'm going to does not provide Argon. If anyone knows of helpful info or url, thank you so very much. I sure do need this info. Going on busy holiday, so am trying to anticipate any prep I can do in advance. Traveling in truck with other couple, so that is 6 cylinders total. Thanks!! (BTW, I have my current passport and am a WA state resident)

Unless something has changed recently you should have no problem. I've never had a problem even on the ferries (which have different regulations I believe).

I carry my dive gear just like I would here and I've never had them ask any questions after telling them I'm going to Canada to dive.

Thankyou very kindly for your reply. I thought they might have some sort of protocol, especially for tanks that have been cleaned for Nitrox.

Thankyou very kindly for your reply. I thought they might have some sort of protocol, especially for tanks that have been cleaned for Nitrox.

I'm not sure why they would care how or that your tanks have been cleaned for Nitrox?

I do remember reading something about the ferry regulations and I think it had to do with having empty tanks and having tanks stamped for transport in Canada.

The bottom line is that no one goes out of their way to tell ferry workers that they are carrying tanks. I've never heard of anyone having a problem however.

Where are you diving? It's all good up there anyway!

If the tanks were cleaned for nitrox, and then they take the valve out to inspect the inside, it could possibly introduce particulate matter into the tank. A neighbor I used to know works for the border patrol and some of the stories he told of people who tried to sneak drugs acoss the border was flabbergasting. Some people will try anything. I don't know where that neighbor moved to or I'd ask him. Anyhow, thanks for your help. We are going up to Sechelt. It will be my first time up there. I usually dive Puget Sound in the southern end so, this will be an amazing experience!

just be prepared to empty them and remove valve if asked. never even heard of it happening, they usually just wanna see the stuff and talk about diving [ if you get a fellow diver lol], but you never know when you'll get the one just off their course, that is ultra gungho lol

As above, I have crossed at Blaine with tanks several times in the past few years without incident.

But since you mention nitrox I will add that if you're going to take any ferries you should know that BC Ferries considers both air and nitrox cylinders "dangerous goods" and requires a form. See this thread for an excellent guide to that issue. The "Western Canada" forum (under "Regional Travel and Dive Clubs" | "Canada") is a good place to search or ask for more info.

Best regards.
Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom