Lake Worth, Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I just don't get lake diving... I was swimming in Possum Kingdom lake this last weekend with my fins and mask on (I guess technically I was snorkelling) and did a few freedives... I could see my bright yellow fins and that's about it. About 10 feet down it turned from light brown to dark brown. yay!

Kaiser442:
I guess I just don't get lake diving... I was swimming in Possum Kingdom lake this last weekend with my fins and mask on (I guess technically I was snorkelling) and did a few freedives... I could see my bright yellow fins and that's about it. About 10 feet down it turned from light brown to dark brown. yay!

!!! Don't you just love it....that is Texas lake diving....it is a challenge some just don't want--??

Kaiser442:

And if you bring a light along, it really brings out green and gray colors in everything!

Kaiser442:

'Got to remember..."This is the Texas Swamp Divers Forum".

First : "Give lakes a chance..."
In time your eyes adjust. Sink a bit farther and turn on your light. Relax and just drift on down into the dark. If you don't get it by the time you hit 100 ft. then you really don't get it. Take heart, there is always the
Blue Water Snob Forum.

Oh My Gosh.... :blinking:
There you can relate to premo Mod Peps like Buffy, Biff, Chas and the BWS sisters Hope, Faith, Joy, Cherish and Star. They are Like...So Kqwell !!
and truely like Represent
There is so much Peace and love and pretty sweet little fish there you'll wonder how you ever lived your life without them !! 'Can't eat those fish though because they are like...so protected. So forget ever wanting a spear gun.

:rofl3:

Crazyduck:
Debra,
Yeah, they have a PCB problem plus the Joint National Guard base sits at one end of the lake and they have become very touchy. Rumor has it that a B-36 (think) missed the runway and landed in the lake (many, many moons ago)- since then it has rusted away in zero vis water that now is sharper than heck.

Actually, I think that's Mountain Creek Lake (near I-20 and 408, SW side of Dallas). There is the former Dallas Naval Air Station located at the NW side of the lake, and the runways depart/approach over the lake.

Heard Whitney was a passable lake to dive. nd in Oklahoma, Lake Murray is supposed to be good and in Arkansas I read about Lake Ouchitia(sp?) is good too.

Depends on what you are looking for?
Lake Whitney always tends to smell something awful to me and it’s seriously dark.
We used to run rescue classes there and for good reason- it’s black. Then the instructors and divemaster’s practiced recovery of lost gear after the class was over.

All and all I have been happy with Lake Murray- below 70ft it was pretty dark. Dark as in particulate in the water. However, Murray has a ton of sites to dive at.

Lake Ouachita is freaking cold but has always been very clear. I used to dig for Crystal there and that was always a blast.

In the spring and fall when Lake Travis is hydrated it is incredible diving.
Nothing like a night dive cruising at 110ft with lights a blazing (10watt HID’s) with insane vis. Seems only like a memory now.

Arkansas is the next stop. I have been hiking and playing in the rivers that are clear as gin but cold as ice. might be interesting.
Andrew

fallcreek196:
Heard Whitney was a passable lake to dive. nd in Oklahoma, Lake Murray is supposed to be good and in Arkansas I read about Lake Ouchitia(sp?) is good too.

Crazyduck:
Lake Whitney always tends to smell something awful to me and it’s seriously dark. We used to run rescue classes there and for good reason- it’s black. Then the instructors and divemaster’s practiced recovery of lost gear after the class was over. Andrew

You aren't kidding - you will smell like a turd after diving at Whitney - especially over at Soldiers Bluff. I think I saw a floater there once at about 55 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom