Lake Whitney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatexastony:
I saw his cousin, big brother, 5/22 at toledo bend! Spear that raskle and you're in for a ride :11:

tony

Tony, we gotta go!

Low vis. = big cats.

What's your schedule after I get back from Coz.?

Jim, great report on the lake. Can't see the trees in that type of vis. until ya under/in 'em, huh? Did the thought of dumpin' your gear to get the hell outa there ever cross your mind? :D

Ma Sha, fried catfish and hushpuppies. And don't forget the coleslaw.

No ride if ya can stone 'em Tony. Yeah, right.

I dove at the scuba park there the weekend before last.
Visibility ranged from 2' to 8'.
The best visibility was in the deeper water near the shore.
Surface water temp: 73F
Bottom Temp(90'): 61F

My buddy and I used to dive at Whitney almost every weekend a few years back. At the time CSSP wasn't around and since we both lived south of Dallas, it was our preferred diving hole.

A few tips:

Bring a BRIGHT flashlight. At least 12 watts. It doesn't really help you explore, but it does help keep tabs on your buddy's location.

Bring a buddy line. Vis is pea green most of the year and deteriorates as you get into summer. On average you can almost make out the shape of your dive bud if you're at opposite ends of the platform. We used to use 3' key retractors clipped to our BC's. They run about $3 ea at my fave LDS (Walmart - automotive dept.) and are good for 10-20 dives. Heck I still have 3 of them in my diver what-nots bag. While you're there you might as well visit the toy aisle and get a couple of magnetic doodle slates.

That being said, I don't think I ever had a bad dive experience there. The lake is pretty warm and I used to dive it in just swim trunks a lot of the time.

From the dive cove you can stay at around 30-45' and follow the banks in either direction and see pretty cool stuff. The place is littered with shells, etc. Last fall I took my son and we saw a cat that was at least 3' long. I know about underwater optical illusions so I made him swim up to the log the cat was resting on for a reference. It was HUGE! Scared the bejeesus outta my boy, but that's one of the perks of being the Daddy.

Or you can head straight out into the lake. I don't know the current lake level, but it was right around 90' last time I went. It's pitch black and desolate and when the lake turns it has a putrid stench. I think it may have been the inspiration for the last verse of America's "Horse with no name" song.

You can also dive at the dam or across from it at the State Park. I've never dove the dam. I helped with a rescue class last April ('03) at the State Park. The vis was weird - kind of a grayish brown. It isn't near as interesting as the Scuba park. Besides Darrell & Judy grill an awesome burger and are as friendly a couple as you'll find.

Dang, this got kind of long. You're a swamp diver - you'll enjoy it!

Texass:
Besides Darrell & Judy grill an awesome burger and are as friendly a couple as you'll find.

Of course when I'm looking for the flyer I got in the mail, I can't find it, but the dive park is under new ownership, not sure if Darrell and Judy are still there. They did cook an awesome burger.

http://www.divewhitney.com/

Danny
www.divingrebels.org

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom