lake wallenpaupack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuubaadoo

Reaction score
looking for info on a dive in lake wallenpaupack. there is supposed to be a town under the lake. does anyone have any info on this, is it even allowed to dive there?

There is foundations and road beds. Some stoves and crap like that. Once and a while you'll find partial walls, and stone walls. If the boat traffic doesn't kill you, expect vis to be less than 2 feet.

Do you where it is? Might still give it a stab.

Route 84 to exit 4 in PA, can't miss it. Still though, it's probably at least an hour or so drive for you, and really, really not worth it.

Jonny_Rocket:
There is foundations and road beds. Some stoves and crap like that. Once and a while you'll find partial walls, and stone walls. If the boat traffic doesn't kill you, expect vis to be less than 2 feet.

If you've never done such poor vis, the only thing that makes that type of vis worst is the complete lack of stuff to see. I'd bet that diving in low vis conditions in the PNW would be worthwhile as you are at least surrounded by life if you can find it. I'm betting this dive would be rather worthless as anything but training.

I've never dove this lake, but have boated on it. If you do decide to dive it make sure you have good surface markers, a good buddy, permission from whomever that must be obtained from, and try not to get hit by boaters!

Ok I admit I am the one who told him about it. Even with the boats and the limited Vis, I still will go for it. I have ordered extra surface markers. I am also working on seeing about the permits. This dive was brought up to me I find the history of it all intriguing. Besides he taught me well. I am looking forward to being able to do this dive. When we are done, I will make a post of it. Love ya Scuubaadoo

Seriously guys, it's not worth it! Grunzter acually dove there after I told himk not to, and his bottom time was like 3 minutes. There is nothing there.

Tons of boat traffic! You're better off diving it during the week.

We dove off one of the islands, not too many boats by us, but vis is BAD!!! Worst I've ever seen. I knew I had hit the bottom when something, from out of nowhere almost took my head off, then I realized it was our anchor!

Heard from another diver where we rented our boat that vis is pretty bad no matter where you go in the lake. Pretty much always diving by feel!

The locals couldn't really tell us if any of the foundations were still there. They recommended, instead that we dive off the island where all the kids go to party, and look for stuff the drunks may have dropped off their boats.

Seems to me this would be more fun. I was watching Divers Down, and saw a feature on it.

http://www.dutchsprings.com/

Granted that it's a huge training facility, but they have some wrecks (man placed) including a suspended Helicoptor, and some structures underwater from before this area was underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom