Lake Travis...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvilleStang

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I, along with the Univ. SCUBA Club, are planning on diving Lake Travis this weekend (Sunday, Feb 26th). Which is the lesser of two evils at this point? Mansfield, or Windy Point? I know I'm jumping into cold water with no vis, but that's what I live for. If anyone has a vis report from either, preferrably through 110', let me know. Thanks! Oh, and anyone's more than welcome to join the group out there if you want!

Man, that sure sounds like a good time, but will be waiting for the temp to warm up some. I already blew my scuba budget on a new BC.......thicker wetsuit will have to wait.

Have fun!

I dove WP a week and a half ago, and Mansfield two weekends before that. Vis at WP was better, esp below 80 ft or so, I'd say around 10 ft vis at 100ft, but, being new, I have a hard time judging with any accuracy with just a dive light. All that said, alot can change between now and then.

Let us know what your plans are. My wife and I were thinking about diving this weekend.

Sounds like fun. Lacking a dry suit and natural insulation, I'll have to wait for warmer water.

I would think WP would have the better vis. The lake has had a few days to settle down from the rains last week, so it should be getting back close to normal.

Mack

I'll be at WP Sunday, doing my AOW, so will probably have my schedule full, but would love to meet any SBer's that happen to come by.

I'm hoping I survive in a 7mm john and jacket (plus gloves, hood, warm thoughts). Current temp looks to be 55* down to 60'. Sorry, our temp string only goes to 60'.

BTW, I'm planning on setting up a screen room with heater. Stop by.

7mm john and jacket is my norm for travis in winter, with a thermos of warm water to precharge the suit (and for after coming out if am going to stay in suit a while. Wish I could join ya, but my 7mm setup is in TN right now at folks house). I may rent a 5mm and do a quick dive this weekend to check out my freshly serviced and upgraded reg.

Well, its looking like Bob Wentz's Windy Point, since most of us have T.C. Park Passes. We'll probably get out there around mid afternoon, and get out before they kick us out (at around 6 this time of year I believe). I'm assuming 02B, you'll be at Barstow's WP? Maybe I'll run into you over near the Beneteau if we decide its worth the dive on Sunday.

It might be a good time to try Hippie Hollow. It shouldn't be too nippley yet.

PvilleStang:
Well, its looking like Bob Wentz's Windy Point, since most of us have T.C. Park Passes. We'll probably get out there around mid afternoon, and get out before they kick us out (at around 6 this time of year I believe). I'm assuming 02B, you'll be at Barstow's WP? Maybe I'll run into you over near the Beneteau if we decide its worth the dive on Sunday.

Yeah, I'm not sure how many dives we'll be doing, and figured the safe bet is to go where there's a compressor.

I assume the Beneteau is the southern-most sailboat shown on the Barstow's u/w map?

So, where all can you use the T. C. Park Pass (for diving, of course)? Obviously not at barstow's, and I assume not at Mansfield (LCRA) right?

Back
Top Bottom