Lake Travis on the Fourth weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is anybody interested in diving out there tomorrow. I've got Friday off and I'm looking for a dive buddy. I want to go early do a couple of dives at least.

Is that a yes? I could still pick up some tanks and be out there by 11:00am. But we better hurry.

I'll be at Bob Wentz tomorrow. Last week I was diving with DeepWaterFerret (I think that's andersons handle) and we found a huge scoreboard. But it had pulled loose from it's anchors and was floating near the surface. Tomorrow we're going out there to sink it again.

I am looking forward to some good diving this weekend. Rain or shine it's all the same under the water.

BillT and I plan to be in the park by 8am Saturday and will be in the water as soon as we can gear up. If anyone else is planning to be out there this weekend and wants to meet up send me a PM and I can provide contact #.

RyanPublic
How is the diving on the public side? How would you compare it the private side?

For those who don't know Windy Point has a public and a private side. On the lake they are right next door to each other so the terrain underwater is very similar. When you turn left off commanche trail you can take the left fork to get to the public side. The entrance to the private side is to the right.

The public side is the LCRA side and is called Bob Wentz. There isn't as far as I can tell a real emphasis on SCUBA there. In addition to the cliff side which is similar to Barstows the LCRA side has a shallow area also. This seems to attract lots of families with young swimmers and picnickers. But there are a few interesting things under the water there. They used to have a platform but I haven't seen it recently. There are also some grottos that can hold quite a bit of air. They also used to have some silly tombstones but they weren't that deep and that was about 10 years ago so I don't know if they are still there. I just got back into SCUBA myself and last weekend was the first time in years that I've dived that side so I'm kind of eager to see what it's like now. That was when we found the Scoreboard (Deepwaterferet knew it was there).

The private side is called Barstows. It is primarily there for SCUBA. A lot of Shops do checkout dives there. Rich also maintains a lot of the underwater attractions there so there are quite a bit more things to see. Also Rich has a pretty good map to them. He also has a tank refilling station, snack bar, showers, and Wireless Internet!!! There are three or four sets of stairs down to the lake there as well (two of them reach the water even when the lake is down.

Both have bathrooms, changing stations, and I think they both have camping. The private side used to be a little more but I think they are both $10 for a day pass. I live in Austin and have a boat so I get a year pass to the LCRA parks that gets me in at Mansfield, Windy Point, and other Parks on Lake Travis and Lake Austin.

Sorry so long I guess I got a little chatty.

We are camped out at Windy Point and will be here till tomorrow around lunch time. We are near the entrance on the right along the fence line.

Hey an update on LCRA Windy Point (Bob Wentz). DeepWaterFeret, Bucho and I sunk the scoreboard Saturday Morning. It's at about 50 feet (Lake is at 658 so when the lake is full look for it at about 73 feet. Right now with the lake down there is a new island just south of the end of windy point. There are two bouys there between the shore and the island. The Scoreboard due west of the midpoint between those bouys.

Bucho and I did a fun dive next just looking around. There's a white jug out there and if you desend on that line you'll find a tree at about 60-70 feet. We headed east til we found the bottom again then north along the cliff face. Didn't find anything special so we came up 20 feet and came back south. We found some Scuba Tanks in the area that were sunk and tied off in memory of someone. That was all we found Saturday.

Ryan, inquiring minds have to know: where did the scoreboard come from, what was its condition when it broke loose, how did y'all re-anchor it? And what was the final score from the last game? :confused:

Thanks for the detailed location. Now it gives us something else to aim for/look at.

Back
Top Bottom