Lake Travis Old Scuba Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which one of the above positions is accurate or do you have a third?

Willie

If Ryan has dove it recently, his position is probably more accurate, although a real map to put position on would probably help. I remember goin' to the end of comanche trail, going down a ramp to the left and the dock was on the right. that was when was in classes and a few times after for some group dives, but mostly I was diving hippie hollow, starnes, and windy point from my dad's boat at that time, off exploring the 'wilds' of lake travis, and the scuba park was too 'developed' feeling. Kinda like Barstows feels for a lot of those limited to shorediving travis.

TheGnome:
Ha I've dove that dive park so many times I can answer anything about it. I live close too dive park and its the only thing I have to dive... Got questions? Ask.

Is this the park that was privately owned and charged a fee? It's been about 10+ yrs since I've been there. Used to be big catfish that followed you around(they sold hot dogs for the catfish only.) Would like to go again. Had a lot of big floating docks as I recall.
Thanks in advance;
Bill

I vaguely remember getting certified there in 94. I remember several docks and the barriers shown on the other map. I also remember a houseboat with sort of a basement with a window. Like a viewing room.

Last week we didn't see any of that. There's like an old styrephoam buoy anchored on one of the boats. It's spherical with two colors red and yellow I think (maybe red and black). We tied our boat up there and decended on one boat. We followed the boats which appear to be one right after the other until we reached a barge. Then we tried to strike out for the large boat following a small string. But vis went to ***** and we decided to surface and get our berrings. When we went down again we found the sunken dock and a rope headded out in the right direction. We followed that for quite a distance. Just as I reached 1000psi we came accross what at first looked like a very large platform but as I peaked over the edge I saw the first deck of a very large boat. The platform was the roof! There was a very large door below me. Air was getting short so we surfaced and did our best to figure out where it was. We were more in front of the draw when we came up.

Ryan, next time you are out there, get GPS coordinates if you have a GPS. Sounds like a place worth checking out.

Willie

rigdiver:
TheGnome:
Ha I've dove that dive park so many times I can answer anything about it. I live close too dive park and its the only thing I have to dive... Got questions? Ask.

Is this the park that was privately owned and charged a fee? It's been about 10+ yrs since I've been there. Used to be big catfish that followed you around(they sold hot dogs for the catfish only.) Would like to go again. Had a lot of big floating docks as I recall.
Thanks in advance;
Bill

Yes the park is own privately, the cost to get in the park is $5 dollars per person. The air fills are expensive so dont even bother.

Tommorrow I will head down there and get the map that the owner draws up every once in awhile with the depths, then I will scan it and post it. Also will see about getting the GPS cords.

TheGnome:
rigdiver:
Yes the park is own privately, the cost to get in the park is $5 dollars per person. The air fills are expensive so dont even bother.

Thanks for the info, I think I will stick to diving it from a boat and skip the $5 fee for shore access. Now I just got to get my buddy to drag his boat out soon.

TheGnome:

I think you're thinking of Barstows. That's the one that's five bucks and expensive air fills. The scuba park they're talking about is no longer open from all the talk I've heard of it (if it was open I'd have been there by now). The ONLY way to access it is from boat, because the shore is private property.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom