Lake Texoma - Visibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone been diving at Lake Texoma lately? If so, what are the conditions like these days?

I'm wondering if the Zebra Mussel invasion has had any effect on vis yet. We're camping here this weekend, but since I didn't have any dive buddies with me, I left all my gear at home. From the shore at Eisenhower State Park, the water looked pretty clear for a Texas lake.

I've noticed that Timeliner has been posting a lot about spearfishing around Butterfly Cove, but I've heard that he thinks good vis is purely optional :)

I have made several dives at Texoma.......you have to remember the Red River feeds into it.

Aah, yeah--that would definitely have an ongoing effect on vis, even if the mussels were proliferating.

Even with the poor vis, do you find Texoma worth your time as a dive site? I'm always looking to try new dive sites :)

If you are after great Vis. then Texoma is not your place.
There are some pretty good fish there though. A guy caught a record 12.5+ LBS. Large Mouth Bass there last week!
If You can see good enough to spear fish then in my oppinion the Vis is Ok.
Stay away from the shallow coves like at Grand Pappy Point. thats like way less then Zero Vis. TwoBitTxn and I bumped around there one afternoon in the dark and that was funny as Hell :D
About a mile from the dam the vis gets better and it's deeper. 'Still not super but OK on some days. The bottom is sandy so even if you stir it up it settles out pretty fast. Kunk35 and I do some search and recovery work at Perot's place and it's nice diving there were it drops off. Dark and spooky just the way I like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom