Lake Simcoe airplane wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Simcoe diver i'm trying hard to get htose number for ya. But in the mean time here is the location of a cabin cruiser sunk going back about 25 years. Its in 80 feet of water N44 22 831 - w7940-405.

Dive Safe

First of all, does anybody know exactly how far this is from the Morrison? I know the Morrison is fairly close to shore, but how close I do not know. Now to add to roastbeef's post...the OUC has some information on Google Earth about this.

[SIZE=+1]Neilson[/SIZE]

Ontario Shipwrecks.kmz - 219 Placemarks
underwatercouncil.com/downloads/ouc_shipwreck_directory_v2.0.kmz - 297k

Build: Cabin Cruiser
Depth: 80'
Length: 35'
Built: ?
Sunk: ?
Access: Boat
Level: Advanced
Orientation: Upright
Cautions: Boat Traffic

Neilson a 35' Cabin Cruiser sitting upright at depth of approximately 80'.

Support OUC Member Businesses:
- Dive Central
- Scuba 2000
- AAA Aquasports
- LTC Scuba Centre

Area OUC Member Scuba Clubs:
- 4D Diving
- Canadian Sub Aqua Club

GPS Co-ordinates
Latitude: N 44 22.831
Longitude: W 79 40.405

Brought to you by: Ontario Underwater Council

Thanks for trying RB, Ive already dove the Nielson a couple times, and already have its numbers its about a kilometer out from the Morrison out in the bay, Its a dark dive so take a light and make sure your boat is well anchored or tie it off to the wreck.
Ive been trying for 5 years to get the numbers for the Enterprise.So yes I know its hard to get ..When you said you dove it RB I had hopes that you had the numbers for the Enterprise,
Oh well, theres several other wrecks I am trying to get #s for The Queen, St George and a big houseboat between Thorah and Georgina islands. I will be looking for them this summer.
I have a list of 6-7 #s to share thru pms with RB and Scubasteve of known wrecks, anyone else will need to share their #s with me before I give any more out.

Don't know but if you google earth 44 degrees 31' 13.87"N by 79 degrees 24' 25.29" looks like plane NO?

My computer always goes bonkers when I try to download google earth,, I guess my 10 year old computer does not have enough memory.
Can someone else that has google earth confirm this?
Is it in Cooks Bay or somewhere else in L Simcoe?

Hmmm, seems like dirt on my monitor....<squint>

Well, on my monitor it looks like clean dirt....but it never hurts to look. If you look at a lot of areas on Lake Simcoe (maybe others), there are many of those "white blotches" which indicates to me they are likely not wrecks of any sort. Besides, the wreck would have to be very shallow to see it from a satellite image. We do not have the clearest water around here.

I am still very game to go to that spot and dive just in case it is something cool. I am always up for some new diving :D.

Afraid if you look close, that is leaving a wake. I don't believe airplanes on the bottom of a lake leave wakes generally speaking...

Afraid if you look close, that is leaving a wake. I don't believe airplanes on the bottom of a lake leave wakes generally speaking...

I suppose that depends on how fast and how recently they hit the surface :D :joke:. Actually I assumed those lines were imperfections in my monitor...not a wake. Maybe since you see it too it must be a wake. I don't care....I will still dive there. Anything for a dive.

Ok,Ok I will check it out, Ive put the coords on my GPS and I will check it out in June or July when the hard water is gone!
It could be just a blotch of mud stirred up by a big pike or a boat prop and thats what you see on Google Earth.
The vis is pretty bad in Cooks Bay( +/- 10ft) and I can't see how a photo from the sky can pick out a wreck on the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom