Lake Simcoe airplane wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No! definitely not Kirkfield Quarry. I've been diving lake Simco for 28 years and dove this plane several times we even picked it up and moved it once. I just can't remember its last location. It was put down there in the old days when our dive club had over 400 members and Underwater Canada was the number one show in north America o the good old days.

No! definitely not Kirkfield Quarry. I've been diving lake Simco for 28 years and dove this plane several times we even picked it up and moved it once. I just can't remember its last location. It was put down there in the old days when our dive club had over 400 members and Underwater Canada was the number one show in north America o the good old days.

Well if you find it, let us know......lake Simcoe diving could always use some more "wrecks" and entertainment....gets quite boring looking a the same planks, garden gnome, washing machine......etc.

I wish someone would sink something decent in Georgian Bay (preferrably in Colpoys Bay) where it can be accessed by shore. Boat access or not, I look forward to the coordinates for this wreck so that I can get out to it. I need new sites to dive.

For years the story of the Lancaster plane wreck under lake Simcoe has been told and I never heard of it actually being found it would of made the national papers and I'm sure would of been removed for historical reasons as there are only a hand full of those wonderful planes actually flying and left in the world. They were made in Malton Ontario for the British air force back in the 40's. The plane I was talking about is a small Cessna plane I dove on about 12 years back and there was a small trimaran boat just beside it.

info:Canadian Built Avro Lancasters

R.B.
I have the #s for the the Trimaran sailboat, a buddy and I did a quick search for the plane thats supposed to be 400 fin clicks to the south east of the trimaran a couple of years ago and never found it , upon further inquiries we found out it had been moved by a dive club a few years earlier and no one has bothered to let out the new numbers for the plane, so now its lost.
It would be nice to share GPS #s here for the benefit of the diving community as I have shared my #s here often.
If anyone here knows the # for the Cessna plane in Cooks Bay please share.
As for the Lancaster plane I too have heard rumors that its supposed to be somewhere along the north shore of Kempenfelt Bay near Oro but I dont think it exists.

What are the coordinates of the sailboat? I am sure everybody would love to have them. Thanks a lot.

Did the dive club indicate even how far they moved it? That sounds kind of shady that a dive club would relocate a plane wreck without the permission of anybody. I would think they broke a couple laws somehow but I am not the police or a lawyer....it just sounds wrong to me.

R.B.
I have the #s for the the Trimaran sailboat, a buddy and I did a quick search for the plane thats supposed to be 400 fin clicks to the south east of the trimaran a couple of years ago and never found it , upon further inquiries we found out it had been moved by a dive club a few years earlier and no one has bothered to let out the new numbers for the plane, so now its lost.
It would be nice to share GPS #s here for the benefit of the diving community as I have shared my #s here often.
If anyone here knows the # for the Cessna plane in Cooks Bay please share.
As for the Lancaster plane I too have heard rumors and dont think it exists.

Hi Steve, I think that the dive club put the plane there originally as a dive site and used it for lift bag practise therby moving it from its original site, so it basically belongs to them to do as they please with it (I think this is the case but not sure).
My GPS unit with all the wreck #s is at home up north. I will post the # for the Trimaran to share with everyone this Sunday.

Well then that makes more sense if they put it there in the first place. I guess blackmail may not work :rofl4:. Darn....on to plan B.

Thanks for posting the coordinates when you get them.

Hi Steve, I think that the dive club put the plane there originally as a dive site and used it for lift bag practise therby moving it from its original site, so it basically belongs to them to do as they please with it (I think this is the case but not sure).
My GPS unit with all the wreck #s is at home up north. I will post the # for the Trimaran to share with everyone this Sunday.

I will post the coords next weekend , we have decided to stay in the city due to snowsquall warnings at our home in the north.
Not to worry I wont forget.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom