lake robinson hartsville sc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody ever been in this lake diving?

As an answer to my own question.....

Well, we went Saturday (2/18). Drove around the lake looking for access points with hopes of bringing open water students for check-out dives. Most of the territory is power company owned or privately owned. There are 3 boat landings, but not good areas for students. The lake is supposedly heated by the discharge pipes from the nuclear power plant located on the lake. It is reported that the lake maintains water temps in the upper 60's to low 70's in the winter with the reactor generating power. Currently the reactor is down for repairs and the water temp was near 58 degrees. The lake is small (2200 acres) and shallow (max:31ft), We went to 3 sites and at 100yds out, we were still in water less than 13ft deep.
We're planning on bringing a boat for the next exploratory visit to dive near the discharge area, and search for deeper water.

Keep us posted. Exploring new sites can be fun.

Grew up in Hartsville and have spent a lot of time out there. I'm fairly certain the lake doesn't get any deeper than about 35 feet in the middle.

Sheriff: Second of two missing boaters recovered - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Our team was one of the teams that searched the lake during the above news story. we had temps of 73 at top and 66 degrees below 7 feet our max depth was 24 feet. Didn't see a single fish the entire four days of searching. from what the local teams were telling me is that lake is only good during winter months in hot hole area. In summer water is to warm like high 90's warm near the plant. Lot of stumps but very little brush, about a foot of fine black silt lines the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom