Lake Powell Diving Logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JabbaFett

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings all,
I haven’t seen any relevant (recent) discussions regarding Lake Powell. I’m curious of the logistics behind diving Lake Powell? What are some of the closest dive centers, dive sores etc.? Thanks in advance.

There has been a dive shop in Page, hopefully they are still there. Had a pretty big compressor.
Outside of that, there is NOTHING around lake Powell. Look at the map, nothing. For the most part you just take everything you need with you. I have not been out there in about 20 years. I'm sure the drop (and slight rise) in water levels has not helped with visibility.
There are only a couple of functional boat ramps left.
I might dive it again if I was there for some other reason. But it is not a destination for diving.

Is there anything to see in lake Powell? You can dive anywhere that’s wet if you want to grope around in the mud for beer cans or something but you don’t need to pack your gear across the country to do that. What’s driving this; are you recovering something that fell down there?

There has been a dive shop in Page, hopefully they are still there. Had a pretty big compressor.
Outside of that, there is NOTHING around lake Powell. Look at the map, nothing. For the most part you just take everything you need with you. I have not been out there in about 20 years. I'm sure the drop (and slight rise) in water levels has not helped with visibility.
There are only a couple of functional boat ramps left.
I might dive it again if I was there for some other reason. But it is not a destination for diving.
I appreciate that - that’s good to know. I’ll just try out some other water activities while out there.

Is there anything to see in lake Powell? You can dive anywhere that’s wet if you want to grope around in the mud for beer cans or something but you don’t need to pack your gear across the country to do that. What’s driving this; are you recovering something that fell down there?
I’m doing a cross-country road trip and I’ll be traveling with someone who wants to see Antelope Canyon. I figured I would try diving Lake Powell if there was anything worth seeing. I really do appreciate the feedback - I’m glad to know it isn’t worth it.

What you see above water is what you get underwater. Add in 50 years of silt and a few random fish to the collection of beer cans. Don't forget to add the technicality that it is also at altitude.

I would rather spend my time in Moab if doing a cross country road trip. That puts you on the I-70 corridor. If you are planning a more southern route (I-40/route 66) the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, New Mexico is good for a quick dive. Roadside attraction. I would do either of those before doing another dive at Powell.
But that all depends on what the cross country road trip is going to and going by.

What you see above water is what you get underwater. Add in 50 years of silt and a few random fish to the collection of beer cans. Don't forget to add the technicality that it is also at altitude.

I would rather spend my time in Moab if doing a cross country road trip. That puts you on the I-70 corridor. If you are planning a more southern route (I-40/route 66) the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, New Mexico is good for a quick dive. Roadside attraction. I would do either of those before doing another dive at Powell.
But that all depends on what the cross country road trip is going to and going by.
I’m glad this forum exists; that’s awesome feedback. I will check out the Blue Hole, Lake Havasu, and I’ll look for a free other places along the I-40 corridor. Thanks for the solid advice.

Lake Mead has the B-29 which I believe is in recreational depths now.

I’m glad this forum exists; that’s awesome feedback. I will check out the Blue Hole, Lake Havasu, and I’ll look for a free other places along the I-40 corridor. Thanks for the solid advice.
If you come to Lake Havasu, we would love to take you diving and show you around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom