lake possum kingdom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bladesmith

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Im thinking about diving Possum Kingdom next week. Heard the Viz was bad due to the rain last week. Has anyone been diving there in the last week? Just wondering. Thanks

Ahhhh... Possum Kingdom.

I grew up at that lake as a young kid! Every weekend we'd head out there boating, skiing, etc. Brings back good memories :)

As to the diving, I don't know about current conditions, but, people always swore that Hell's Gate was great to dive.

Well, I seemed to have jinxed PK. Dive Training magazine wrote a good article about it, and I responded with a glowing letter to the editor explaining how they were "right on" in their description of the good diving and features there.
That did it. Right after my letter appeared (in the July issue), the bottom fell out of the skies, the Brazos River flooded, huge amounts of sediment flowed into the lake from the surrounding Texas Redbeds, and the visibility went horribly south.
My friends who've been there recently described the vis this way..."chocolate milk".
You might try calling the people at Scuba Point Dive Center (located right on the lake), but the word is they haven't conducted scuba cert classes there since the floods. Too bad. I really enjoy diving PK!

PK can be lots of fun and the folks at Scuba Point are first rate.

Their website ( http://www.scubapointpk.com ) says diving isn't recommended now due to the lousy viz, but a call might be in order.

I've had to cancel a couple of outings there because of the flooding.

I dove PK last Thursday and the viz was pretty poor down to 40 ft. It looked to open up a bit below that. One nice thing is the water is very warm all the way down.
I always enjoy diving Scuba Point even if it's only to chat with Todd who is probably the nicest dive operator in Texas.
If viz is really bad go to Hell's Gate and do a salvage dive. There's lots of fun things to find there even if you can't see anything.

Back
Top Bottom