Lake Pleasant Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to let you know that Justin and I are going to the lake late Thursday afternoon to get a couple dives in and a night dive....anyone up for a dive then let me know!!!

Nancy and I made it out to the lake today. We were at Beismeyer Point and did 2 dives. We kept it on the shallow side between 15-25' Nancy is still working on developing her buoyancy control. The water temperture was 83* and visability was about 10' the level water level seems to be dropping fast next time out we may try Desert Tortoise if it isn't too crowded.

Sounds like you had a great day....

Ron-

What time are you planning on getting there? I get off work at 5:30 and it would take me an hour to get there...if the wife permits me :)

Dave

We will probably do three tanks...as we won't be going all that deep on two dives..... so we will get there around 4.....but will be there for two more tanks by the time you got there...probably do one early evening and one night dive....plans are not set in stone so we may not get there until a bit later....5-ish....but still you could get a couple tanks in with us....

No Sharks..except Sand Sharks.

I took my boys, Ian (11) and Jack (7) to the lake yesterday for some snorkeling. We had a great time but at the start Jack was a bit dubious about getting into the water. Friday night he saw a video of some divers on a Shark Dive in Roatan. He was convinved that Lake Pleasant was shark infested waters.

So we walked along the shore at DT on Saturday morning and I pointed out that there were an awfull lot of divers getting ready to go in so there must not be any sharks there. Seeking a second opinion, Jack walked up to the nearest diver and asked him about all those sharks hereabouts. Wouldn't you know it. He picked the only guy that was missing a finger. He pointed to the stub and explained that a shark bit off his finger "right over there" just the other day.
Jack's eyes got as big as saucers and both hands covered his open mouth. I explained that I was trying to get him into the water but there was this shark issue that had to be settled first.. The guy appologized profusely and must have convinced Jack that he was joking because not long after I was chasing after Jack who was already half way to the "island".

The water is way low from where it was a couple of weeks ago. The island was about 30 yards away and I don't think that the depth was over 15' between where DT road enters the lake and the island to the north. First we snorkeled to the island and after making sure that the boys were doing okay, we swam next to the island along the road. I told the boys to keep an eye out for fish. They saw a few on the first swim. We swam beside the island until it's shore line turned out toward the lake. Then we swam across the road and along the wall back to where the road entered the lake.

On the second swim we swam away from the road, again keeping at about 10 - 15 feet of water to the outer edge of the island before turningback. Not to many fish were seen on this one but Jack was feeling more confident. He was swimming beside me instead of clinging to me. Ian was fine finning along, diving down to look at something or pick something up. Ian earned his PADI Master Seal C-card a couple of weeks ago. Mindy Przeor was his instructor. THANKS MINDY!

After lunch we did our third swim. We went all the way around the island. There's a really cool looking wall on the north side of the island. As we swam over it Jack got a little freaked out because he couldn't see the bottom. We cut a little closer to shore and Jack was fine again although he decided it was easier to hang on to Dad's back and let him do all the finning. Ian developed a leg cramp at the outermost corner of the island. I helped him streatch it out and we sat in a few feet of water and took a little break before continuing back to DT road.

I wanted to reinforce the planing aspect of diving with Ian so before each swim we talked about where we were going, who would be where and what to do if somebody had a problem. He was a little hesitant about telling me that he had a leg cramp but I reminded him it was never a bad thing to call a halt to a dive or swim because of a cramp or being cold or a problem with the equipment. Learning what you're supposed to do is one thing but actually doing it is understandably a little difficult at first.

Our last swim of the day was by far the best one. We swam along DT road almost around to the Two Cow cove area. The only thing that stopped us was the fact that it got to shallow to swim. Along the way we found a fish rookery of sorts. Dozens of finger sized small fry and little swimmers about the size of your hand. All hiding in patches of lake grass in about 4 feet of water.

We had a great time and for next Saturday I'm thinking about renting a BC and regs for Ian and exploring that wall we found on the far side of the island.

Last edited:
We will probably do three tanks...as we won't be going all that deep on two dives..... so we will get there around 4.....but will be there for two more tanks by the time you got there...probably do one early evening and one night dive....plans are not set in stone so we may not get there until a bit later....5-ish....but still you could get a couple tanks in with us....

My wife asked that I not dive during the week to help with taking care of our daughter...perhaps another time...have fun on the dives...

I understand that!!!....We will meet up some other time!!!

Where do you guys dive from? There is a pretty good chance my son and I may do an early evening & night dive this Thursday off Vista Point if we don't do an early morning surface interval at Pleasant that same day (ie wakeboarding/waterskiing).

mg

We dive all over on the other side of the lake .... and have not set in stone where we will dive Thursday.... I haven't dove vista pt...so that might be fun....
How far do you have to carry gear to get to the site??? I am game if you are going to be there we would love to meet you and your son for sure!!! Let me know early enough so we can make plans..... PM me if you want to chat on phone!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom