Lake PK Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It took me about a week to get this one filed, but it's been a busy one.

My brother captained his boat for me and a buddy last Saturday in order to cruise the Hell's Gate area. My friend loves to "treasure hunt" the area commonly used by party boaters. It's shallow and murky, but usually a lot of fun. We got four dives in, and it was quite an adventure, actually. Dives one and two were both about 45 minutes, temp at bottom (20-25 feet) was about 65 degrees, but--of course--vis was about three feet. We were tethered with floating line and cruised the west side of the bay about 150 yards inside the main Gate. Dive one we found one pristine 20-pound anchor wedged under a root, a water cannon (water gun...which we used to "attack" my brother upon re-boarding the boat), and a few pair of sunglasses. Dive two, we found another anchor almost identical to the first (still had sale tags on it), and a full bottle of red wine! We shot home-made markers on both anchors and used the boat to pull them up later. Toward the end of the afternoon, my brother weighed anchor and we puttered among the fifty or so boats that had accumulated in the area. Some were just ski boats, some were pontoons, but there were quite a few huge cruisers.

"RESCUE" number one...(well, the attempt, anyway)
It was toward a line of about ten of these behemoths anchored side-by-side that we ventured, just to get a closer look. Upon approaching, a fellow on the stern of one of them waved at us and pointed down into the water. As we neared, we asked if he needed help, and he told us his wife had dropped her prescription glasses and asked if we could take a look. David and I shrugged into our gear, made a brief plan, and dropped in. We made expanding circles for nearly a half hour with no luck. Either their boats had drifted a bit, the glasses had sunk into the soft silt, or we just missed them (quite possible in the deteriorating (?) vis conditions. We surfaced and found that another dive boat had arrived. We were amused to learn that the owner of the boat had called a local dive charter/service before we had come on the scene. When we showed up, they assumed we were with the dive shop! Upon learning we were merely recreational divers who had just volunteered to help, they seemed amazed and tried to pay us for our time. We turned that down, of course, and explained that this was what we did for fun.

"RESCUE" number two...
While we had been searching, though, a kid on a jetski had approached my brother's boat. He told of another boat on the other end of the cove that had a stuck anchor and asked if we were "rigged up for diving". We decided to see if they needed help, and puttered that direction. It took a bit to locate the stranded boat, but we arrived to find four adults and three little boys in a beautiful, large ski craft. They had been stuck for quite some time, and the driver was very anxious not to have to cut the anchor chain and leave the anchor (The driver said "This is my dad's boat and he will KILL me if we lose that anchor!"). It was one of those fishhook shaped, stainless-steel varieties and he was certain it was pretty expensive. David and I went down the chain in about 45 feet of water. Sure enough, the anchor was hooked firmly on a big log and root. I had to brace my feet against the log and pull to dislodge it. We carried it free to a flat area and dropped it and returned up the chain. The owner had seemingly burned out the winch motor earlier in the day, so we helped him haul it up by hand. The family was overjoyed to be free. They tried to pay us too, and they also had trouble believing we were just doing this for the fun of it. By the way, we priced the anchor and 50 feet of chain later...all told, it totaled about $500!

All in all, a fun day of diving. You know, one could probably pay for their trip just going around the cove free-lance diving for tips on busy days like that one. By the way, the vis on the last dive (on the north end of the cove) was considerably better than in the shallows. We descended through a thick layer of murk for the first 20-25 feet, then the vis opened up to about 15-20 under that. However, down there it was considerably colder than anything we saw earlier...probalby about 55 degrees or so. Brrrr.

Sorry for the long post, but we had a BLAST! Gotta do it again sometime soon.

Thanks for the report Guba. I live fairly close to PK and really want to get out there sometime soon. It sounds like you did have a great day on (in) the lake.

It sounds like you guys had a fun day, its been years since I dove there. I thought I read they closed the dive shop is my rememberer wrong?

Your second story reminded me of this joke so I found it to pass along for those who havent seen it...

Bob, a handsome dude, walked into a sports bar around 9:58 pm.

He sat down next to a blonde at the bar and stared up at the TV.
The 10 pm news was coming on.

The news crew was covering the story of a man on the ledge of a large building preparing to jump.

The blonde looked at Bob and said, "Do you think he'll jump?"
Bob said, "You know, I bet he'll jump."
The blonde replied, "Well, I bet he won't."
Bob placed a $20 bill on the bar and said, "You're on!"

Just as the blonde placed her money on the bar, the guy on the ledge did a swan dive off the building, falling to his death.

The blonde was very upset, but willingly handed her $20 to Bob, saying, "Fair's fair. Here's your money."

Bob replied, "I can't take your money.
I saw this earlier on the 5 pm news, and so I knew he would jump."

The blonde replied, "I did too, but didn't think he'd do it again."

Bob took the money...

It sounds like you guys had a fun day, its been years since I dove there. I thought I read they closed the dive shop is my rememberer wrong?

Hey Paul,

The dive shop has closed. I have however heard a rumor through the grapevine that there is now shore access near the old shop. I don't have any specifics though. I will try and see if I can get some this weekend though.

How are things now that you are back from Morea?

Bill, Great report! Thanks for posting it. We really need to get our schedules worked out later this summer so that I can join you on one of your PK runs!

then the vis opened up to about 15-20 under that. However, down there it was considerably colder than anything we saw earlier...probalby about 55 degrees or so. Brrrr.

That's always been my experience with PK....the clearest water is on the bottom and it's very cold.....if it's there at all.....

Does anyone have any updates on how to enter PK lake? I will be in the area in a few weeks and want to check out the dive site, but with the diveshop/park shut down I could use a pointer...

Smurf Stomper...About the only advice I can offer is "get a boat". As far as I know, none of the better dive sites have any public shore access at all. I know of one charter service that takes dives out in the area, and there are several boat rental services as well. Islandfrog mentioned there might be a club with a pier next to what used to be the scuba park. Other than those options, I don't have too much else to offer.

I love these stories!! Thanks for being a good samaritan diver, Guba. The world could use more people like you and your friend. jSounds like an excellent day of diving, also. Keep up the good work.

"RESCUE" number one...(well, the attempt, anyway)
... We were amused to learn that the owner of the boat had called a local dive charter/service before we had come on the scene. When we showed up, they assumed we were with the dive shop! Upon learning we were merely recreational divers who had just volunteered to help, they seemed amazed and tried to pay us for our time. We turned that down, of course, and explained that this was what we did for fun.

"RESCUE" number two...
... The family was overjoyed to be free. They tried to pay us too, and they also had trouble believing we were just doing this for the fun of it. By the way, we priced the anchor and 50 feet of chain later...all told, it totaled about $500!

All in all, a fun day of diving. Sorry for the long post, but we had a BLAST! Gotta do it again sometime soon.

It took me about a week to get this one filed, but it's been a busy one.

Dive one we found one pristine 20-pound anchor wedged under a root, a water cannon (water gun...which we used to "attack" my brother upon re-boarding the boat), and a few pair of sunglasses. Dive two, we found another anchor almost identical to the first (still had sale tags on it), and a full bottle of red wine!

You have all the luck.
Dude your middle name is Karma !
Are you sure you were not a not a Hindu in another life ?? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom