Lake Norman quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Down at the cruiser around 90 feet the viz is 30 plus and a light is not needed in the daytime. This qualifies as exceptional for this venue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Going for my first dive of the year in the quarry on Sunday, June 2 with a group from a local dive shop. Looking forward to it. I've been mostly in the 40-50ft depths there. Sometimes it's great and sometimes not so great. Love the training and refining of skills aspect (I need a good bit of refining). I've never used a light there. Weekends will be hopping now. The divers I've encountered have all been friendly and helpful.

Thursday nights there is always a group that meets for evening dives and lots of fun.

It's going to be cool. I dive with a 5mm suit and sometimes no hood. I did my check out dives there this time last year and didn't wear a hood and was fine.

Will be great when reghunnicut can dive!

Ok, how to make this short and sweet.
:)

I would definitely join the PDRA which gives you access to lake Norman quarry and 2 other quarries.

If you are serious about diving and want to do it frequently and I would recommend that to anyone I would buy a drysuit. You will find your dives more enjoyable to say the least. The people who say they enjoy the bottom of the quarry in a wetsuit are not staying there long and what's the point with staying for 5 minutes. I bought a cheap bare suit on eBay and now have a better suit but that thing was perfect and still is for most diving. The divers that stick with wetsuits are frah, frah, freezing, I don't care how many millimeters they are when then exit the water. ;-p

There are so many things to see in the quarry you will likely find something you never saw before every time you dive.

Second the Facebook friend request of lake Norman quarry. You will find buddies there along with local dive shops and such. Weekends are easier to find dive buddies.

Hope this helps!
Garth

I second Garth's suggestion on the dry suit. My husband and I ordered ours Saturday. We dove yesterday. I wore a 5mm suit, 5mm hood, thin gloves and full face mask. My son dove in a 3mm with 5mm hood. It was fine (a touch cool) on surface but got chilly (haven't downloaded my dives for exact temps) at the thermocline and at 40ft. Viz was not ideal (10 feet) but the water was much less green than it has been. It was overcast but in the low 80's and not many people there. I got a little cool while diving, but felt good as my personal summers were put in the deep freeze for the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom