Lake Murray State Park?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulintexas

Reaction score
yes, yes, I know, it isn't in Texas, but it is as close as Athens from DFW :)

Has anyone dove this lake? Opinions?

So far, the other 3 closest I've found are Athens, CSSP, and Possum Kingdom. So, that is at least 4 dive weekends :)

..once last summer. My dad's ranch is about 15 miles from there. Entered by a metal tower sticking out of the water by the dam. Vis was about 12" to 18" inches (it was a pretty busy day on the lake what with jetskis and boats and what not so that may have been a contributing factor). We had to walk down some rocks to get to the water and it wasn't real easy with the gear and all. It is a pretty lake, though, and I did see a walleye about 2' long on my second dive. Not many places down here that you can lay your eyes on a walleye...except maybe a restaurant, although the chances of that are probably slim to none as well.

There may be some better places at the lake to dive than by the dam, but if so, I don't know where they are.

Dive it atleast once a month. The tower that was mentioned has a 15ft platform and a 70ft platform. It's used for AOW training. Down the road to Marietta Landing are two 20ft platforms, boats, ect. that is use for OW training. vis is @5-10' normal, water temps @80 surface, thermal at 30ft drops to 68 at 70 ft. and dark. For me it's home.

Never dove "Lake Murkey" before... but been wanting to do that. Might have to round up TwoBit Zagnut and you and make an adventure out of it.

might be a good first meeting for me into the Swamp Diving Team :)

I'm waiting for my gear to get back, reg is in the shop, wetsuit and gloves are in shipment, so I'm thinking the 23rd or 24th...

My dive calender is booked through Labor Day. This weekend and next I am DMC'ing (divemaster candidate) an open water class, and labor day weekend I am doing the same. So it's into September before anything new.

Shall we look for a common weekend in September?

Zag?? Rick??

(and where the H-E-dubble hockey sticks is Corsair these days?)

that will work, lead time is a good thing, especially with wet suit on order and reg in the shop :) at least my new mask and knife showed up today. a bit concerned that the bigeyes mask will leak, doesn't seem to fit my face as snug as my genesis mask, will be trying in the pool tomorrow :)

paulintexas once bubbled...
a bit concerned that the bigeyes mask will leak, doesn't seem to fit my face as snug as my genesis mask, will be trying in the pool tomorrow :)
I purchased a Cressi "Horizon" mask over the weekend and used it during an OW class I DM'd. I like it.

One thing to remember about masks in general is to not wear it tight. Many divers feel they need to ratchet it down so hard, they get the "racoon line" before they even hit the water. And it's been my experience that a too tight mask will leak. Plus it will be more difficult to clear since you can't move it easily.

When donning, a mask should fit very comfortably, and just on the edge of almost being loose. Water pressure will do the rest to push it against your face.

RicHeaD once bubbled...
Mike,
Iam open on the 6 or 7th and the 13th or 14th. Always ready to go. Just let me know.
I might be booked on those weekends now DM-ing for an OW class. I'll check the schedule and let you know.

We get out there soon enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom