Lake Michigan - looks so easy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cert1967

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ever since my first open water dives in Lake Michigan I have been amazed that so little diving is done in this great body of water.

Tonight - glassy smooth - looks easy doesn't it?

Lake Michigan Mon 12AUG2024.png

Ever since my first open water dives in Lake Michigan I have been amazed that so little diving is done in this great body of water.

Tonight - glassy smooth - looks easy doesn't it?

View attachment 855661
Beautiful. But have you seen the ugly face? The face that is the reason for all the shipwrecks? Have you seen Lakes Huron and (especially) Superior?

rx7diver

She's a beauty, but also deep, cold, dangerous and unpredictable.

The great lakes are an absolute treasure, but they deserve a lot of respect and caution.

But yes, some days they are so calm and clear, it seems silly that more divers are not out there!

She's a beauty, but also deep, cold, dangerous and unpredictable.

The great lakes are an absolute treasure, but they deserve a lot of respect and caution.

But yes, some days they are so calm and clear, it seems silly that more divers are not out there!
People are wusses and don’t like cold.

Hahahaha true- I like cold, but not as tough as you.

Hope all is well and that you have been able to go diving this summer.

Hahahaha true- I like cold, but not as tough as you.

Hope all is well and that you have been able to go diving this summer.
I got one dive in Sunday. Nice and easy. Thanks! Dealing with some health issues that need to be solved before I do anything more.

I'm so glad I'm smack dab in the middle of Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, and Lake Huron....makes for excellent local diving. With that said, the Great Lakes definitely deserve respect. Most people have no idea just how big these bodies of water are.

One of my great scuba regrets is that when I first got certified in 1988, and lived in N. IL, I didn't get into Great Lakes diving.

Part of the reason is that it is actually illegal* to shore dive Lake Michigan in the city of Chicago, which is the largest population center along the lake and covers the 30 miles (50km) of lakefront from the Indiana border to Evanston.

* - OK, technically, you could do it from private property with permission, but almost the entire lakefront is under the jurisdiction of the Chicago Park District which prohibits entering the water at all except at designated "bathing beaches" and prohibits diving at those beaches under Chicago Park District Code Chapter 7 B.4.b(3)(e): "No person shall swim, dive or enter the water fronting any bathing beach while wearing or carrying an air or gas tank or tanks for the purpose of underwater breathing in the activity commonly known as skin or scuba diving."

There is an exception written in the code if the Park District specifically designates a location for shore diving. They have done so in the past, but I have verified with them that there are currently no such designated locations.

Part of the reason is that it is actually illegal* to shore dive Lake Michigan in the city of Chicago, which is the largest population center along the lake and covers the 30 miles (50km) of lakefront from the Indiana border to Evanston.

* - OK, technically, you could do it from private property with permission, but almost the entire lakefront is under the jurisdiction of the Chicago Park District which prohibits entering the water at all except at designated "bathing beaches" and prohibits diving at those beaches under Chicago Park District Code Chapter 7 B.4.b(3)(e): "No person shall swim, dive or enter the water fronting any bathing beach while wearing or carrying an air or gas tank or tanks for the purpose of underwater breathing in the activity commonly known as skin or scuba diving."

There is an exception written in the code if the Park District specifically designates a location for shore diving. They have done so in the past, but I have verified with them that there are currently no such designated locations.
Yet another reason to live in Evanston....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom