Lake Kookanusa Canadian Side Diving - Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tessie03

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi
Due to the Canadian and the current state of the Oil & Gas in Alberta, we are opting to skip 1 year of dive travel internationally and spend some time camping. We have our trailer at Lake Kookanusa on the Canadian side.

Tried finding info on diving this man made lake with no luck

Anyone have any info?

Thanks
Terri

I've not heard of it before, it is near to Waterton Lakes which is really good diving. Maybe post on the AUC fb page, might get a hit.

Ya, that makes me think it might have some sites similar to Minnewanka in Banff.

This is flathead lake, by Kalispel,

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 71
Hi
Due to the Canadian and the current state of the Oil & Gas in Alberta, we are opting to skip 1 year of dive travel internationally and spend some time camping. We have our trailer at Lake Kookanusa on the Canadian side.

Tried finding info on diving this man made lake with no luck

Anyone have any info?

I have never heard anything about Koocanusa. It's pretty new as far as lakes go and is a former river so that doesn't bode well. Looking at pictures I can see that it has a pretty large difference between low water and high water. My experience with lakes like this is that they are very silty and viz is crap.

If you want to dive you'll probably have to look further west to Kootenay Lake.

Kookanusa is a reservoir located south of Elko, BC, on some very fine sandy soils. It's level varies 30 + ft over the season.

Right now (March) it's dry except for the river and water bogs. Great for mud bogging! ...it's fine sand that can be driven on.

I don't know anyone who dives there and would imagine the water would be very murky/silty when there's enough water in it to dive! Not much to see. Some old tree stumps?

Waterton lakes (Crandell, Waterton), Crowsnest lakes, Flathead lakes in Mt have some good dives. And pretty good viz, depending on the time of year

Back
Top Bottom