Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, viz down to about 40 ft has been marginal (6 - 8 ft?) Below that it starts opening up.

The water has been really high this year (we're about 7 inches above average annual rainfall so far this year.)

I try to be there by 0830 on Saturday and 0930 on Sunday. The Park Rangers have been blocking folks from coming in on Sunday when its not full. (A couple weeks ago I was there in the morning with one set of divers then expecting another buddy about 1:00 pm but he was blocked saying it was full and there were about a dozen spaces open ... and about half a dozen single, non-trailer, vehicles in the trailer parking spots. I'm ok with that if they are doubled up but not singled.)

If the weather looks good, a trip up on Friday morning may be warranted!!

I was thinking about trying for Sat. afternoon, say around 2 pm. The classes and clubs have usually cleared out by then, haven't they? We need to get fills at Jocassee Dive Shop, so an 8 or 8:30 am arrival at the park will not be possible.

Thunderstorms likely both pm Saturday and Sunday. If you mind, of course.

I was thinking about trying for Sat. afternoon, say around 2 pm. The classes and clubs have usually cleared out by then, haven't they? We need to get fills at Jocassee Dive Shop, so an 8 or 8:30 am arrival at the park will not be possible.

Yeah, some have started to clear. But getting in could still be hit and miss depending on if the park rangers at the entrance have current information regarding parking availability. My experience from two weeks ago was that them having current information can be hit and miss depending on the last time the roving rangers have been at the ramp to see how many parking spaces there are. But at that time, if they get turned away, I would head back to the gas station, wait ten / fifteen minutes then head back & try again because folks are likely cleared or clearing out.

Thunderstorms likely both pm Saturday and Sunday. If you mind, of course.

And this is different than any other day around here this time of year, how?? :eyebrow:

All joking aside, except for one day this year, the thunderstorms have been blowing through pretty fast. That one day, a small storm started on the north part of Lake Keowee and then just kept growing bigger and bigger ... and it never moved! Lasted all afternoon and I think enveloped all of Lake Keowee and Lake Jocassee area.

And this is different than any other day around here this time of year, how?? :eyebrow:

All joking aside, except for one day this year, the thunderstorms have been blowing through pretty fast. That one day, a small storm started on the north part of Lake Keowee and then just kept growing bigger and bigger ... and it never moved! Lasted all afternoon and I think enveloped all of Lake Keowee and Lake Jocassee area.
I dive in 3 mm shortie. So I have to bask under the sun for some time afterwards :wink:

Beautiful day today--sunny, not too hot for August in SC, and no thunderstorms. Water temp 78-79 from the surface to the 40' platform, which is where I spent my time today. Vis had improved from a couple of weeks ago to maybe 10 ft.

I was there today early and found that viz is getting much better below 60' to 115', as it always does @ this time of year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom