Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made my first visit to the lake over the weekend to finish up a tech class; we opted for the lake after getting blown out of Hatteras a month or so ago. We did two dives on the graveyard. Bill and the crew from the LJDS were awesome, we really enjoyed diving with them. Nobody else on the boat, just us.

If you haven't been, the dive shop is near the lake, not right at it. The boat is kept at the shop and trailered to the lake; a little different but no problem, it's a short ride. After launching the boat it was a quick five minute ride to the site; we geared up and went in.

Weather was warm but a little cooler than expected (thankfully); made being in dry suits at the surface pretty tolerable. Water temps were very pleasant - 78 at the surface, 67 at 20' and 54 at 140'. Viz was pretty decent, at least 30', way better than our local quarry (think 30"). The graveyard was interesting, added cool effect because of Deliverance; would like to go back and spend a little more time exploring; trees looked pretty cool. All in all, a great time at the lake.

View attachment 413808

Glad you enjoyed it!! Certainly not as good of diving as Moorehead City, but much more convenient for semi-locals and much better for training purposes.

One thing to mention: I think the cold might have frozen something in the Broca's area (the language center) of your brain. You said "Water temps were very pleasant" and "54F" in the same sentence. Not sure those jive with me.

Glad you enjoyed it!! Certainly not as good of diving as Moorehead City, but much more convenient for semi-locals and much better for training purposes.

One thing to mention: I think the cold might have frozen something in the Broca's area (the language center) of your brain. You said "Water temps were very pleasant" and "54F" in the same sentence. Not sure those jive with me.

Looking at it now, I completely understand the apparent absurdity of that sentence. A little context is needed - my local quarry is 41 degrees, so 54 is relatively peasant. That said, I'm perfectly happy to put away my drysuit and get back to diving wet in warmer water; plan on heading to Hatteras/Morehead/Wilmington this summer.

I dive dry in anything under 80F.....

I have a 2mm shorty and two drysuits and am too cheap to get anything in-between.

Lake Jocassee update. Made a dive Sunday 9/24. Surface water temp 77. Temp at 70' 75-76degrees. Vis 20-25'.
Lake is down 4' from past week. End of ramp in 14-15' water.
Many divers early in morning. Most were gone by lunch. Lake was still busy with small dive groups and kayakers.
Lets Go Diving!

Lake Jocassee update. Made a dive Sunday 9/24. Surface water temp 77. Temp at 70' 75-76degrees. Vis 20-25'.
Lake is down 4' from past week. End of ramp in 14-15' water.
Many divers early in morning. Most were gone by lunch. Lake was still busy with small dive groups and kayakers.
Lets Go Diving!

were you the guy in a jumpsuit and a FFM? Think I saw you walking up to the top of the parking lot

We were there Sat. 9/23. It was a bit crowded in the morning with kayakers and classes trying to cram in their checkout dives before the lake cools down.

Did I inadvertently usurp your parking space?

no? had plenty of parking when I showed up around 0930

@Lorenzoid let me know next time you swing up. I was on a boat on Jocassee all day Saturday and was going to try to dive with Richard Black but their plans got changed so ended up staying on the boat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom