Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dove the graveyard Sunday to clean up and repair some lines. It was a good bit cooler at 47 degrees. Dive was 64 minutes with a max depth of 137'.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

We were doing a TriMix class Sunday. I really can't say about temp due to the mix and wearing a hollis undergarment with DUI drysuit with back gas. I was cold at the chest area but that was it. Vis was really bad and the wall as well as at the graveyard. depth ranges were: wall 156' and graveyard was 140'.

We were doing a TriMix class Sunday. I really can't say about temp due to the mix and wearing a hollis undergarment with DUI drysuit with back gas. I was cold at the chest area but that was it. Vis was really bad and the wall as well as at the graveyard. depth ranges were: wall 156' and graveyard was 140'.

Cool Tony! Trimix, how is the class going are you done with the class yet or still going?

Garth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Class done! We went to the wall with mix and using 50% for deco. I was leading with Ryan (Instructor) watching over everthing. Down the line to the bottom, line to the Junk, line over the wall to 156', I tied in with a reel and we went down the wall for a few hundred feet and backtracked back to the surface. 156' for 58 minutes. Vis was not good at all.

Second dive, post top offs were to the graveyard. I was leading once again. Down the line to the tree, to the bottom and checked out the graves. Depth 138-140' for a run time of 58 minutes. Chop on the surface and very low vis.

After action report: Bill, Lake Jocassee Scuba Shop, runs the best boat dives anywhere! As always! TriMix will make you cold from the inside out to the point my lungs felt like I was running during the winter. Since most of the divers wanted to stay with the last diver that cleared deco it created a group cluster at the ladder with the surface chop. I could feel the chop at several feet down and I was trying to get divers, who had already cleared deco, to go ahead and surface as Ryan and I would stay with the last diver. I strongly suggest that others, in the future, do likewise. It really helps out the boat crew in assisting a diver every few minutes vice 6 divers at the same time.

Attachments

• jocasse trimix 001.jpg
    jocasse trimix 001.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 161
My wife and I are just occasional recreational divers looking at going to Jocassee in mid-July with a group from Atlanta. Will a full length 5 mil suit and boots and gloves be enough then? We don't own hoods but these temps sound cold. We have done some cold NC quarries before but it has been several years being in that cold of water. Will we be okay with what we have?

How about lights? This is not something we typically carry either but I know in the quarries it would have been helpful. Will we be fine without?

My wife and I are just occasional recreational divers looking at going to Jocassee in mid-July with a group from Atlanta. Will a full length 5 mil suit and boots and gloves be enough then? We don't own hoods but these temps sound cold. We have done some cold NC quarries before but it has been several years being in that cold of water. Will we be okay with what we have?

How about lights? This is not something we typically carry either but I know in the quarries it would have been helpful. Will we be fine without?

If you plan on staying above 60' you should be OK it all depends on your cold tolerance. you should carry a light (each) with all the algae and sediment floating above 30' will block a lot of the light . If you plan on dropping down deeper then a hood is a real good idea and a light mandatory.It gets real dark at around 90' and cold (mid 50's*)Are you diving the Divers ramp or doing the Jocassee dive shop charter?

If you plan on staying above 60' you should be OK it all depends on your cold tolerance. you should carry a light (each) with all the algae and sediment floating above 30' will block a lot of the light . If you plan on dropping down deeper then a hood is a real good idea and a light mandatory.It gets real dark at around 90' and cold (mid 50's*)Are you diving the Divers ramp or doing the Jocassee dive shop charter?

It is a "Dive Rally with shore dives" so I guess the ramp. There is an option to add boat dives. I guess that would be a good idea? Or is the ramp dive sufficient?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom