Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going in 30 minutes. I got wetnotes, and I'm gonna use 'em.

---------- Post added July 10th, 2013 at 03:26 PM ----------

Okay, I'm back. Left the lake @ 12:30 just before the thunderstorm.

@ 25'-73 degrees w/ crappy vis

102'- 59 degrees @ the "Beware of Dog" sign Vis OK to good

114'- 54 degrees in the trees @ the "winding road sign" and top of a huge double PVC swim-through
thingy. Vis good, clipped off light and could just read computer. Swimming back toward the
ramp vis still good up to 95 to 89'. Above that was a wall of illuminated haze (which is kind of
neat 'til you have to re-inter it) all the way to the surface.

Last edited:
Shorter than a stick? I don't have a reliable way of quantifying or qualifying visibilitly objectively........so, "as bad as I've ever seen it" will have to suffice.

I'm going in 30 minutes. I got wetnotes, and I'm gonna use 'em.

---------- Post added July 10th, 2013 at 03:26 PM ----------

Okay, I'm back. Left the lake @ 12:30 just before the thunderstorm.

@ 25'-73 degrees w/ crappy vis

102'- 59 degrees @ the "Beware of Dog" sign Vis OK to good

114'- 54 degrees in the trees @ the "winding road sign" and top of a huge double PVC swim-through
thingy. Vis good, clipped off light and could just read computer. Swimming back toward the
ramp vis still good up to 95 to 89'. Above that was a wall of illuminated haze (which is kind of
neat 'til you have to re-inter it) all the way to the surface.

Where are the sign (winding road) and the big swim through. I have never seen them are they something new?

Where are the sign (winding road) and the big swim through. I have never seen them are they something new?

They're old. I don't always see them, just trying to give some reference point. I generally just wander aimlessly 'til I find a spot I like. (A spot with no man-made "attractions")

From my vague memory, here goes:

From the steel rectangle to the left of the ramp (visible from the surface) follow the heavy line down to a pile of-stuff-attraction next to a small-boat-attraction near, I think, an old-toilet-attraction.

There is a ridiculous nexus of lines from hell which may be slightly hazardous in bad vis here.

Ignore them and continue Down Hill on the thick (not red) line.

So basically, just go straight downhill on the line from the Steel Rectangle and don't get sidetracked by any other lines or "attractions." (You will bi-sect/cross the main thick line)

I hope this makes some sense.

They're old. I don't always see them, just trying to give some reference point. I generally just wander aimlessly 'til I find a spot I like. (A spot with no man-made "attractions")

From my vague memory, here goes:

From the steel rectangle to the left of the ramp (visible from the surface) follow the heavy line down to a pile of-stuff-attraction next to a small-boat-attraction near, I think, an old-toilet-attraction.

There is a ridiculous nexus of lines from hell which may be slightly hazardous in bad vis here.

Ignore them and continue Down Hill on the thick (not red) line.

So basically, just go straight downhill on the line from the Steel Rectangle and don't get sidetracked by any other lines or "attractions." (You will bi-sect/cross the main thick line)

I hope this makes some sense.[/QUOTE
Thank You I will have to go looking for it net time Tony and myself get back up there

Thank You I will have to go looking for it net time Tony and myself get back up there

It isn't worth looking for, really,.....mmm.....unless you're bringing your Mini Cooper with you to make sure it will squeeze through the opening. It was just a depth/vis reference point. I was @ the lake today and the vis was uniformly good below 90' to 95'. The further left of the ramp (north) the better the vis and @ shallower depths. Now that the water level is way up, I've been enjoying getting to the "tree line" quickly and just "going out on a limb"; a horizontal fallen tree which you can follow through the darkness and standing trees both above and below with a reliable (non-compass) reference point for getting back to where you started.

Heading to dive the ramps Saturday. Any updates on conditions?

Was out at the wall today, temp at surface was 77, temp at 60', 72. There was a thermocline at about 45'. The divers ramp was empty today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom