Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much has the lake wormed up in the last couple weeks of 80*and 90* weather. Can't wait to get back to the lake and dive

I hope it has warmed up a bunch....got 2 tanks waiting on me at the shop for Sunday AM!

The ramp...I just want to get in and play around, don't know how deep I want to go, depends on the temp.

Met up with Krawling at the ramp on Sunday morning and had a good time diving. The temp at the surface was in the low 70's but dropped pretty quickly to the upper 50's @ 77ft. The first dive we had the ramp to ourselves, but during the SI, it started filling up. Met Joe8mofo and his buddy as they were heading out to dive. All in all, a very good day of diving!

Indeed I was there along with Cliff, Brian, and Nina.

Dive 1: We headed down near the buoyancy course (what is left of it) and leveled out at 100-110'. I was dry and the rest were wet. Vis was good at 35' horizontally due to the sun being out. We encountered a ~5 lbs largemouth bass lying in the silt at 110' depth. Many people may not know that after spawning, female bass head to deeper water and rest for 2 weeks before resuming normal activities. What is odd about this is that this is typically not known to occur at those depths (110'). She was non-responsive to light, but swam away once I got within 3' of her, I actually didn't intend to disturb her, however she left and headed deeper.

Dive 2: We headed down near the ski boat and headed the opposite direction (west) at around 100-110'. It was cloudy so vis was more like 25'.

Water temps encountered were : 48F at 110', 58F at 40', 62F at 30'

There was an instructor there with several students and surprisingly enough they did not silt out the place, so I commend him on his efforts to preserve the dive site for the rest of us.

Also there are tank holders in place near the ramp and they seem to be capable of holding AL and Steel tanks.

Is anyone diving Sunday (May 22nd)? I would love to dive on LJDS's boat or the ramp! The first dive might not be that grand of a time as I will possibly be diving a new to me drysuit. PM me and let me know if your interested!

Thanks,

Anyone interest in diving Sunday(5-29)? I am scheduled to be on the afternoon charter with Lake Jocassee Dive shop(Cost $40). They are doing a night dive also off the boat if your interested and certified to make the dive(Not sure on the cost of that dive yet). PM me if your interested.

At the ramp or the Wall?

Can't go out this weekend, too much to do around the house......but Burmuda Triangle Divers from Greenville is sponsoring a poker dive at the ramp on June 4th. Those are fun and I'll be there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom