Lake Jocassee Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trixxie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok I realize all the gear that we need to stay alive under the water is heavy...

I also realize that the lake is down right now so there is a small walk to the edge of the water at the end of the boat ramp.

I also realize that there is really only 1 ramp that can be truly used by divers (the middle ramp) the ramp to the left (as you are looking at the lake) is busted up making it difficult to impossible to enter and exit at this ramp and the one to the right is used by boat launchers.

That being said... how about if no one sets up their gear at the waters edge on the middle ramp. how about having common courtesy for your fellow divers and setting up at the top of the ramp so it's easier for everyone to enter and exit the water.

Just my .02

Thanks!! :D

Yea, that is very irritating. Nothing's worse than trying to dodge people as you make the trek to the water in 100lbs of gear. I can understand pulling your car up to the concrete barriers to load and unload your gear, but gearing up by the water in everyone's way is pretty inconsiderate.

I agree. I have had to work my way around people, just standing at the end of the ramp talking. They were divers. But didn’t have their gear on.

I don’t think the divers at the ramp. Read this message. Or we made them mad. The two left ramps were covered up with lawn chairs and gear. This was at the bottom of the ramp.

I'm a new diver (along with my 22 year old son and 17 year old daughter). We've been diving twice since certification, both times off the walk-in ramps at Jocassee. The first time, the entire ramp area was absolutely saturated with people, chairs, tents, and equipment. We walked down the boat ramp and entered the water (quickly) off of it.

The second time, the place was almost deserted, but the two groups that were there decided to stack and leave their gear right at the waters edge on the two left-hand ramps. Again, we had to enter and exit the water from the boat ramp.

On both days, we elected to gear up in the parking lot and "hike" to the water; hike back to the parking lot for our SI/lunch; and back to the water for the second dive. For this overweight almost 50 fellow, it's a long way UP the ramp to the parking lot in full gear and weights (admittedly overweighted right now in more ways than one).

I've considered backing our vehicle down the boat ramp and unloading equipment and a couple of chairs just to make the time between dives less of a chore. My question is, what does everyone consider acceptable? Keep gear/chairs on the left-most ramp and don't block the lower third? No gear on the ramps at all?

What do you dive on off that ramp? Is there just a student platform there?

Hey, when you only have 8 dives in your log just swimming along and looking at silt-covered rocks is FUN!

There are a few things that have been sunk at the site: a couple of training platforms, a couple of small boats, a skeletal family, trampoline, and yes -- a forest at about 90ft. It will be awhile before I go to the forest.

The cove there is off-limits to boaters too so it's somewhat safer.

I realize this is a thread from back in September. However, I have some updated thoughts on this topic:

I had originally typed out a LONG response to tell you this story, but I am just going to leave the details out of it.

L. Jocassee walk-in area etiquette is a piece of crap during pumpkin carving events. People are stupid and inconsiderate. Is that too much to ask for? Had to be 15 or so divers in 5' right at the entrance of the water. Only way to get out of the water was to swim through them. Which we did, and we hit every single one of them in doing so. At first, it was unintentional, but after about the 5th diver or so, it became a game. I do not feel sorry for hitting them while trying to get out, and don't feel sorry if I messed up their pumpkins. Especially after I realized, I had to make my way through 40 more people laying, sitting,standing all over the parts of the ramps that were above water.

If I am wrong for these feelings, please, I encourage you to let me know. Will be interesting.

-JG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom