Lake Jocassee diving conditions now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard someone has been knocking the grave markers over in the last few weeks. I think the large stone belonging to Silas Hinkle has been knocked over. That took some effort to try to destroy. It is a shame.
Leah, you said gave markers (plural). I just know about the Hinkle marker. Have others been knocked over, too? I haven't been on the Graveyard in about a month.

I did dive off the Wall on Sunday & as soon as I remember to download those dives I'll report on temps in the 140' range.

Not really sure Jeff if it is more than one or not. I overheard a guy talking about several markers, but I haven't been down there to see. That is still a bit beyond my skill and comfort level. He said something about some vandals messing with the junk too. It has been a while since I have been over to the junk. I know someone took Mr Bones head a few months ago and I think took one of the Bones Family legs. I need to go pay them a visit and check it out before the water gets too cold.

Not really sure Jeff if it is more than one or not. I overheard a guy talking about several markers, but I haven't been down there to see. That is still a bit beyond my skill and comfort level. He said something about some vandals messing with the junk too. It has been a while since I have been over to the junk.
It may be a bit elitist, but I will be happy when the lake is full again and the Graveyard is not as accessible to all. It's a very cool place that deserves respect, not a bunch of yahoos flailing along the bottom.

I was on the Junk Sunday. I think the Junk has deteriorated over the years, but I didn't see any obvious vandalism.

I don't think it is elitist at all Jeff. It is a graveyard and should be respected as such. Many folks think all the graves were moved, but they were not. Many of the older unmarked graves remain. The better portion of them were moved, but not every single one.

I am glad the Attakulla is down deep enough and hard enough to find that it keeps people away. Part of the lodge is resting on its side. They are not sure when that happened. It could have happened at the time the valley was flooded as the water pressed against the very dry wood anchored to the foundation or it could have fallen over at any point in the last 30 years. They have gotten some good film footage the last two dives and I look forward to seeing it. Anyway, if it was in shallow water I am sure people would be taking little pieces all the time until it fell apart.

It may be a bit elitist, but I will be happy when the lake is full again and the Graveyard is not as accessible to all. It's a very cool place that deserves respect, not a bunch of yahoos flailing along the bottom.

Some of us yahoos don't flail and don't touch anything. (smiley face)

Some of us yahoos don't flail and don't touch anything. (smiley face)
Well, that wouldn't make you a yahoo then, would it? :wink:

I am glad the Attakulla is down deep enough and hard enough to find that it keeps people away. Part of the lodge is resting on its side. They are not sure when that happened. It could have happened at the time the valley was flooded as the water pressed against the very dry wood anchored to the foundation or it could have fallen over at any point in the last 30 years. They have gotten some good film footage the last two dives and I look forward to seeing it. Anyway, if it was in shallow water I am sure people would be taking little pieces all the time until it fell apart.

That would absolutely break my heart. The combination of depth, freezing water, low oxygen, and no light is the reason the lodge is still in the relatively good condition that it is. It would probably throw me over the edge to know that my childhood home is being ripped apart by treasure seekers.

Bill said he can put the headstone(s) back upright with a couple of lift bags. But you're right - it's extremely disrespectful.

Back
Top Bottom