Lake Jocassee diving conditions now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
I know it's probably raining now and should be sunny this weekend. Aside from that, what could I expect on Saturday or Sunday? Mainly interested in temp. and visibility. Thanks.
Dave

I was out in the middle of the lake last weekend tagging along on a tech dive. Vis in that area was 10-15'.

Here is what I pulled off of my computer from this last weekend
on the way down
Surface 84 degrees
78 at 20'
76 at 40'
75 at 50'
74 at 60'
maxed out at 67' and 74 degrees

on the way back up we ran in to some 72 degree water in the 20 range.

The tech guys said it was in the low 40's in 250-300' range.

So, would that indicate upper fifties in the 100' range? Thanks.

Oh yeah, what is the depth of the graveyard now?

The lake is down around 25' You can check in on Duke Powers web site for up to date levels at:
Check Lake Levels - Duke Energy they measure levels at the dam.

For current weather, go to www.accuweather.com and use zip code 29676

I have heard someone has been knocking the grave markers over in the last few weeks. I think the large stone belonging to Silas Hinkle has been knocked over. That took some effort to try to destroy. It is a shame.

So are you planning to diveJocassee this weekend and what are you planning to dive once there?

I'm mulling over diving the graveyard if it's shallow enough and I can get a boat ride to it.

Whoa...I have VERY different temps. Was there this past weekend. @20' was 73 degrees; 40' was 71 degrees and at 90' was 53 degrees, and probably dropping.

Lake levels varies like crazy. Friday the entire remote ramp was out of the water. Saturday, the end of the ramp was about 2 feet underwater.

I guess maybe we were in a warmer pocket of water for most of our dive. We did run into 72 degree at 20' on the way back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom