Lake Denton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you REALLY want to dive Denton, there is the camp there that has been opening up for divers for much less than the county is charging. The owner told me yesterday it's 10 dollars for divers and instructors are free. (don't quote me on that, please call and find out) He's got places to change, picnic tables, and I believe they have renovated some bathrooms that are not portajohns!! Contact

Thanks,
Richard

I can confirm this, I did my PADI IE at that camp last month. It cost $10.00 for divers, non-divers (people not going into the water at all) were free. Place is nice but the bathrooms could use some work and an exterminator

According to the article, there is free access at the boat ramp near a phone company. Has anyone used this access and/or know what side of the lake it is on? Where can you park your vehicle?

Lake Denton Temporary Fix Not Working Well

Lake Denton Temporary Fix Not Working Well

The Tampa Tribune

Published: August 8, 2008

It's a safe bet that Highlands County commissioners expected to make enough off scuba divers at Lake Denton to at least pay for the attendant who takes those $25 per day fees. That's not happening by a mile, and it shows the flaw in the county's strategy.

No scuba diver in his or her right mind would pay $25 to use the county's facility, if you can call it that, compared to what the nearby church camp offers for much less. The camp charges $10 per day, which includes changing rooms, lake access, fenced-in parking near the lake, picnic tables and grills, etc.

Only scuba divers are required to pay a fee to use the county's facilities, and we believe that's unfair. We don't think anyone should have to pay fees to use a public lake, unless some kind of special park with camping and other facilities are available. Lake Denton's public facilities include a portable toilet and a boat ramp.

Only three people have paid the county's fees since they were implemented. That's not surprising. In fact, the only surprise is that someone paid at all.

Part of the plan was for the county to hire someone to collect fees, which would pay that person's salary. Having someone there on the weekend also would help stop any illegal or unseemly activity that supposedly was going on there. There were reports of nudity, going to the bathroom in view of the public, sex and all kinds of activities.

The church camp has provided a place where none of that is happening. Divers like that, so they aren't being blamed for crimes real or imagined.

The county isn't done finding a solution to the Lake Denton situation. Everyone wants a safe place that can coexist with residents living around the lake. What the county should do is plan and build an adequate recreational area for citizens who want access to this gem of a lake. Then make sure adequate law enforcement patrols are provided.

Perhaps the money isn't there now, but it's a project that can be built over time, and we can start on preliminary steps right now.

The only thing that's obvious is that the temporary solution isn't a particularly good one. Let's hope the permanent solution serves everyone's needs.

I spoke with the Highlands County Parks and Rec director Wednesday. She confirmed someone is suppose to be there on weekends to collect the $25.00 fee. No fee is charged during the week. Only divers entering the water from shore will be charged. If you launch a boat and dive from it, there is no charge. I'm pretty sure there is no actual ramp though and no dock. Just a gravel drive.
I may go down this Sunday. I'm sure the vis will be terrible with all the rain we've had though.

Brian,
Thanks for the update! I'll be at Lake Denton tomorrow morning, and my students willingly pay Lake Denton Camp a $10 donation to dive there.

Some day, you and I will cross on the Little Deeper.

Al

Brian,
Thanks for the update! I'll be at Lake Denton tomorrow morning, and my students willingly pay Lake Denton Camp a $10 donation to dive there.

Some day, you and I will cross on the Little Deeper.

Al

Please post a report when you return. Any observations about the public area as well.
Thanks

Please post a report when you return. Any observations about the public area as well.
Thanks

The water level is still pretty low. I swear it's down about 8 feet or so. But, it appears to be coming up a little.

I'll be down there again next Saturday. I have 7 open water students. Lake Denton is always a great place to train divers.

I saw the trailer at the boat ramp and I kind of snickered thinking about Brian's post. It's great to hear they're not getting the money they were thinking they'd extort from us.

Supporting Lake Denton Camp is a wonderful thing.

Can anyone confirm what was moved from Lake Denton over to Lake Tulane? I was at Tulane last weekend and found a dive line that lead to a boat, but the line was pulled up after that.

I was thinking about going back this weekend to see if I can re-anchor the dive line at the other locations. I was also going to do a pickup after.

~ Sel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom