Lake Cleanup Dive - any interest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich, I was going to ask you if you all did the White Lake clean-up this year. My aunt has a place there and I spent some time at the lake this summer. No diving though because I don't think people dive there plus too much watercraft traffic. My aunt told me about this diver who went out in the beach area where the carnival rides are located after one of the holiday weekends. He was looking for jewelry with some sort of u/w metal detector. Well, he comes up with this bag of jewelry, etc...that he found. She talked like he had a nice stash. He lays the bag down while taking off his tanks and gear and some kid runs up, grabs the bag and splits. I was thinking that would be a good idea for the day after Labor Day, July 4th, or Memorial Day. That place gets packed on the weekends. Especially Halloween - they make a big deal out of it for the kids.

Treasure hunting at White Lake, NC, :D something to think about.

Mel

Sounds really interesting. If you plan it, I'll try to get there. It's a bit of a hike, but I've always wanted to dive White Lake. That sand bottom looks pretty inviting...

Rich, as for Lake Norman, it's just north of Charlotte and is the biggest lake in NC. Lots of coves where people congregate. The problem is that the bottom is clay and gets pretty silty. Good bouyancy is essential.

Here's a link for your GPS to a geocache site I placed in the northern part of the lake. Scroll down and you'll get to Google Maps, Terraserver, etc.

Hope you can make it. Be sure to check out the thread under Dive Events at NCDivers.com. I'll try to keep that current.

Safe travels,
-G

Grier, so this is Lake Norman where everyone goes to swim/boat, not the quarry called Norman? I get them confused. The quarry is where you have to have the key to access, correct?

BTW, I'll be at Bluestone next Saturday, will you be there?

GrierHPharmD:
Sounds really interesting. If you plan it, I'll try to get there. It's a bit of a hike, but I've always wanted to dive White Lake. That sand bottom looks pretty inviting...

Rich, as for Lake Norman, it's just north of Charlotte and is the biggest lake in NC. Lots of coves where people congregate. The problem is that the bottom is clay and gets pretty silty. Good bouyancy is essential.

Here's a link for your GPS to a geocache site I placed in the northern part of the lake. Scroll down and you'll get to Google Maps, Terraserver, etc.

Hope you can make it. Be sure to check out the thread under Dive Events at NCDivers.com. I'll try to keep that current.

Safe travels,
-G

suthnbelle:
Grier, so this is Lake Norman where everyone goes to swim/boat, not the quarry called Norman? I get them confused. The quarry is where you have to have the key to access, correct?

BTW, I'll be at Bluestone next Saturday, will you be there?

Unfortunately not. Gotta work all day Saturday. I was thinking about doing the DAN treasure hunt at the Lake Norman Quarry on Sunday, but I've got a bad case of bronchitis, and I don't think I'll be diving...

Good to hear from you, Mel. And yes, the cleanup is for the big, dirty lake...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom