Lake Brownwood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found a topo map online, but couldn't find a bathymetric map of the lake...sorry. You can probably get one of those from a local sports/fishing/boating store though. If not, at least you can get a little local knowledge. They might know exactly where those spaceships enter and exit the lake.:wink:

I know where there is a sunken half empty bottel of 15 yr old Vodka in Lake Kirby.........Brownwood though? Why not Ft.Phantom for some real muck diving....

For 'muck diving' we prefer Mountain Creek Lake (DFW) or Pat Mayes Lake (Paris).

I was swimming at Lake Brownwood last Summer and while I was floating in the water I could see my feet. I doubt that translates to superior light and Vis. on the bottom out in the middle of the lake. I'm positive I have done repeat dives at places that are worse. I enjoyed those dives so why not give Brownwood a try. There is a rocky shoreline in lots of places.
I go to Brownwood at least twice a year so it's in the cards. Solo or a Buddy dive... either way it's gonna happen.

You know...We have discovered that even Lake Texoma is not really all that bad to dive.
Swampers seem to enjoy it lately but I understand it's not for the BWS
( BWS = Blue Water Snobs)

I think it's the Zebra Mussels that are filtering the lake water and making it clear :wink:

Well if you go dive Brownwood, give me a shout.

I have spoken to one diver and one dive shop owner in Abilene and they both said diving Lake Brownwood is like diving coffee with cream added. When we drive on the bridge going over Lake Brownwood it is the color of coffee with cream so his description is fairly accurate. I know the LDS's in Abilene go to Possum Kingdom, Lake Travis or the lake outside of Del Rio, the name escapes me at the moment, for class dives.

:eyebrow:BTW, texdiveguy, the UFOs, or USO's for the u/w version, are not associated with Lake Brownwood. You need to go to Lake Travis to find USOs. Sometimes you can hear them underwater. :rofl3:

:eyebrow:BTW, texdiveguy, the UFOs, or USO's for the u/w version, are not associated with Lake Brownwood. You need to go to Lake Travis to find USOs. Sometimes you can hear them underwater. :rofl3:

......:D:rofl3:

That's the name! Thank you, Hemlon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom