Lake Belton Old Hy 36 bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chairmanTARAC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Has Anyone made a dive on the old Highway bridge? I understand it is on the north side of the new bridge at the main channel.

chairmanTARAC:
Has Anyone made a dive on the old Highway bridge? I understand it is on the north side of the new bridge at the main channel.

Is this old structure now underwater??

Vis that far up the Leon tends to be rather poor. I've dove the main lake within a couple miles of ythe dam a few time. Even there, vis can be pretty poor - under 5 ft. But on a good day it can go 15 to 20. Stillhouse, with much more hydrilla, tends to have better vis.

texdiveguy, I understand the structure should be at about 50' when the lake is at normal poop of 595. I have the texdot drawings.

chairmanTARAC:
texdiveguy, I understand the structure should be at about 50' when the lake is at normal poop of 595. I have the texdot drawings.

That would make an interesting dive for sure,,,,may be interested in the future for a look.

Just an interesting side note-
Google Earth shows access roads north of the bridge on both sides.
If this was the original road then it would explain the access roads.

If you are using old plans or reports what did they do with the old superstructure?
If blasted it could be cool limited vis dive with lots to see.

Andrew

From the Plans they took the columns and stacked them on the lake floor. Unknown how much relief.

Thanks, Let me know and I'll send the report back to tx dot. We tried to get them to take the Galveston Causeway offshore but were unsuccsessful. We have pieces of the Humboldt channel in corpus Looking for a site offshore

Just as a heads up.
My map shows the water depth there to maybe be eighteen ft deep.
Anything off the bottom is going to be a mountain.
At that depth it is going to be a mud and muck dive.

Also, the map shows “road debris” due southwest of the bridge less than a quarter mile away on some flats. Did they drop it out on some flats to make it easier to navigate the area and to provide fish habitat?

Was this area developed at all before it was incorporated in to a reservoir?
Stillhouse is considerably deeper but my map shows roads and has markings for a church and other underwater structures. Before anyone gets excited all structures are in 20ft or less of water- making me think they demolished them before flooding the area.

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom