Lahaina's Newest Wreck :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
During the recent bad weather Lahaina had another boat go down on it's mooring ball (The "Recluse"). After work today a buddy and I took a small skiff out there to dive on it, but by the time we found it it was too late to get a dive in (sun beginning to set) so we took a few pics from up top and I'm hoping to scooter out and see it up close tomorrow (If I can find a buddy... any takers?). Figured I'd share the photos.

recluse1.jpg

recluse2.jpg

recluse3.jpg

Unfortunately it's so big (65ft?) and the water so shallow (40fsw?) that I couldn't fit the entire thing in one frame.

Aloha, Tim

It's location is a "secret" mostly since as soon as word gets out vandals and thieves hit it big time :( so ... gotta join me on a dive to find it :wink: Even today when we were scouting it there were a couple guys keeping an eye on us to make sure we were not going to be making off with "treasures"

Aloha, Tim

What are salvage laws like in Hawaii? Can you legally plunder it?

I don't know the "real" laws... but frequently when a boat goes down it gets stripped within a few hours, before the owner even has a chance to get out there and try. It's a shame and wrong. Far as I'm concerned it still belongs to the owner or his insurance company...

Aloha, Tim

In Oregon there basically aren't any salvage rights. While I'm not up on current law in California if you found the boat unattended it was yours to salvage.

Salvage law is: that until the owner or insurance company declares a boat a total loss and they are abandoning it, it still is their property. So, those that pillage after the storm are skirting a run in with an Admeralty Court.

Very cool photos!

I've got a buddy who was the former owner of another wreck at Lahaina (The Dolphin) who had everything taken off his boat before he even found out it was on the reef... and now she sits...

I've got a buddy who was the former owner of another wreck at Lahaina (The Dolphin) who had everything taken off his boat before he even found out it was on the reef... and now she sits...

When I first heard that I was quite disgusted ... talk about anti-aloha... Unofrtunately it seems too many people were raised with the idea of "finders keepers" actually being true instead of "Find it, return it" ...

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom