Trip Report Lady Luck Engine Room Penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boriss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hopefully this is of interest to someone... if not, it'll just serve as a personal VLOG :)

First time in the Lady Luck Engine room. Relatively simple dive, not too technical, but hopefully anyone attempting it is Deep and Wreck certified. The penetration was uneventful, since we were in the ship and out of the strong current, but up top all kinds of chaos ensued including one panicked diver who lost his flashlight, then mask, then weights and it was the first time I was in a situation where I thought someone was grabbing me and survival was at stake. Nothing happened at the end, it was all in his head. He said he was panicked, breathing hard, swallowing water, etc etc. He complained about being allowed to go on this dive without an instructor, which is ironic... I think he needs more practice and training. After screaming at the entire boat and the crew he was explained the situation allowed to rest for an hour and he apologized.

Either way, this was an interesting event, especially considering it was a week after completing my SSI Stress & Rescue course.

Thanks! :)

Awesome video. Try turning up the volume on your narration a bit.

It was of interest to me! Watched the whole thing. Seemed a short run time but I guess you go through it at that depth. Great finning and buoyancy in there, kept decent vis throughout. You know the story of why they took the pistons and cylinder heads but left the engine blocks? Panicked diver was good experience right after your course but I don’t see anything you could do to help him. I usually freeze up when I’m startled, usually the right response underwater.

. You know the story of why they took the pistons and cylinder heads but left the engine blocks?
Many times if a boat is being "retired" they will remove and scavenge parts for future spares on other boats. Of engines of this type the pistons and heads are very useful to make swaps while out at sea in a breakdown and then once back in port the burnt parts can be refurbished while still allowing the boat to run. The block is huge, doesn't usually crack due to the lower rpm, and not normally a "shelf" item so takes up valuable floor space. But they probably grabbed the crank shaft out of it.

Awesome video. Try turning up the volume on your narration a bit.

Thanks! This was my first time ever creating a video like this and using DaVinci Resolve to make a video. I don't have a microphone for narration and the headset mic I used... kinda sucks. I'll order a nice microphone for future videos - learning every dive! Thanks again! :)

It was of interest to me! Watched the whole thing. Seemed a short run time but I guess you go through it at that depth. Great finning and buoyancy in there, kept decent vis throughout. You know the story of why they took the pistons and cylinder heads but left the engine blocks? Panicked diver was good experience right after your course but I don’t see anything you could do to help him. I usually freeze up when I’m startled, usually the right response underwater.

That's great to hear, thank you :)

I accidentally pressed the wrong key while editing and cut out ~1-2-minutes of the penetration at the deepest part :(

We pretty much ate up our NDL, even my backup computer (GF 45/85) was showing 0 NDL, while my primary (GF40/70) had me in deco. My dive buddy and I agreed we wouldn't accrue more than 10minutes of "deco." Deco in quotes, because we're still well within dive-table NDLs, but we dive more conservative.

For example, if I go based on the PADI dive tables:
EAD = [(0.71 / 0.79) * (130 + 33)] - 33 = 116ft
@120ft NDL = 13mins

Here are the numbers according to the Shearwater NDL planner (EAN29, 130fsw):
GF40/70: 8-minutes
GF40/85: 11-minutes
GF40/99: 14-minutes

So yes, pretty conservative, especially if you consider that these numbers are based on a square dive profile, but we have plenty of gas and time to decompress... no need to take chances. I also take every dive as a learning dive/practice for future dives - when decompression will be mandatory.

Thanks! This was my first time ever creating a video like this and using DaVinci Resolve to make a video. I don't have a microphone for narration and the headset mic I used... kinda sucks. I'll order a nice microphone for future videos - learning every dive! Thanks again! :)

While I am not familiar with that particular software (I still use Windows Movie Maker), there should be a setting in the software itself to adjust video and narration volume. The audio quality was fine, but just the volume was low.

I only run one computer. What is the reasoning for running a backup comp with different GF?
Unnecessary to run two computers for recreational dives. I wouldn't recommend this for most people.

I do it just to practice and accelerate my understanding and experience. The benefit is I'm still within NDL, but I get extra practice with understanding my computer, holding stops (which I can later review) and increasing conservatism. These are necessary skills for technical divers and I practice every dive so that everything is second nature. I also practice the boom drill, S-drill, DSMB deployment, finning techniques and so on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom